KDE Continuing To Land More Fixes, Eye More Features For Plasma 6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Continuing To Land More Fixes, Eye More Features For Plasma 6.1

Phoronix: KDE Continuing To Land More Fixes, Eye More Features For Plasma 6.1

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his latest weekly development summary to outline all of the new KDE features and bug fixes that have come about for the KDE desktop and apps over the past week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see them continuing supporting X11 actively.
    Even if Wayland counterpart works good now, there are still usecases for X here.

Somebody cares to explain how direct scanout is activated under wayland?
    Does it means bypassing compositor or what?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
      Even if Wayland counterpart works good now, there are still usecases for X here.

Thanks!
      honestly the last valid usecase for xorg over wayland at this point is nvidia, and the next releases of major distros like fedora 41, etc will most likely be shipping NVK by default (unless they for some reason choose not to ship the modern driver stack)

rolling release distros will probably be shipping NVK as soon as the newest mesa version releases

all of that is to say is that i dont believe the NVIDIA usecase for xorg is gonna be here for much longer, once NVK is available there will be no reason to use xorg server.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post

honestly the last valid usecase for xorg over wayland at this point is nvidia, and the next releases of major distros like fedora 41, etc will most likely be shipping NVK by default (unless they for some reason choose not to ship the modern driver stack)

rolling release distros will probably be shipping NVK as soon as the newest mesa version releases

all of that is to say is that i dont believe the NVIDIA usecase for xorg is gonna be here for much longer, once NVK is available there will be no reason to use xorg server.
        There's more than that like digital audio workstation software and astrophotography software. That's why Ubuntu Studio uses KDE X11.

If you've spent 300 Euros for your astrophotography software, you might not be ready for Wayland. The desktop environment is irrelevant. This is from the PixInsight system requirements:

Linux

On X11 (Linux) a compositing extension manager is required. Hardware-based compositing, such as OpenGL, is a precondition to run PixInsight on all platforms. This should be no problem at all on any modern X11 desktop. As an exception, the KDE desktop environment allows you to use software-based compositing (XRender) on systems without hardware acceleration. XRender compositing works fine, but can be slow. However, XRender allows you to run PixInsight on a virtual machine where the virtualization system does not provide video hardware acceleration to guest operating systems.

PixInsight is not compatible with the open-source Nouveau graphics driver. If your distribution is using Nouveau, you must remove it to use the proprietary NVIDIA driver in order to use PixInsight.

Wayland is not supported because it does not implement a global coordinate system, and consequently, it does not allow setting the position of a top-level window programmatically. This limitation is incompatible with our graphical user interface. Supporting Wayland would require the complete rewrite of a significant part of the PixInsight core application, with profound implications for the rest of our platform. Don't expect this to happen anytime soon, considering the number of high-priority tasks ahead. So if you want to use PixInsight on Linux, you need a working X11/XCB implementation. Or try to convince Wayland developers to write a versatile windowing system.
        ​
        If you use a limited selection of free/foss programs you're probably good to go with Wayland. If you play games with Steam or WINE, you're probably fine on Wayland. If you use professional software you might not be there quite yet.

Comment

Automation software like Autokey

Comment

Honestly, that's bs, and you know it, Wayland doesn't allow for enough stuff here and there that some people could rely heavily upon it. Yes, it is good enough for general use, but "general use" is far from being the only use case. And it works well enough in my Nvidia set up tyvm, although it has more problems that my AMD one I must say, experiences my vary, tho. So please, just stop.

In my case, I can't use it for gaming because I need Push to talk.

Comment

honestly the last valid usecase for xorg over wayland at this point is nvidia,
              I know you've already been proven wrong, but adding to the choir; accessibility.

Not my area, I'm also privileged enough to not need any of it, so the problems were completely invisible to me. But this week there was a thread on r/linux talking about it, and wayland is far from ready for those who need a11y solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post
                In my case, I can't use it for gaming because I need Push to talk.
                If you want to enjoy the benefits of Wayland (whatever those are), you can use better discord with PTTserver.plugin.js, then bind a key to send a curl to localhost whatever, calling for "smart".

This is a horrible hack, but apparently it works.

I'm sorry for the assumption of you using discord, I guessed since it is (very unfortunately) the dominant platform by huge margins, it may be a safe bet.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

Thanks!
                  Obviously, Wayland is in freeze state because Nvidia drivers are not integrated in order to support hardware acceleration in Wayland session on KDe Neon. Other OSes have already full hardware acceleration support thanks to Nvidia drivers assuring full hardware acceleration unlike Mesa. KDe Neon based on Ubuntu is a scam, pure garbage.
                  Last edited by MorrisS.; 17 March 2024, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    If you use a limited selection of free/foss programs you're probably good to go with Wayland. If you play games with Steam or WINE, you're probably fine on Wayland. If you use professional software you might not be there quite yet.
                    Or just use a real OS like Windows or Mac OS and don't waste your time with toys.

Comment

Working...
                    X