Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

openSUSE Tumbleweed Begins Rolling Out KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, But No Wayland Default Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Did this just start after the 6.0.1 update (i.e. did it work before)? Do you have any packages locked? You could always just reboot and choose the snapshot before the update in grub if you need to, then do a sudo snapper rollback.
    so after reinstalling the system it works... but i think it doesn't work with packman repo...

Comment

After two rollbacks and a third zypper dup, everything seems fine again.

Maybe a tip for others. Do this update, while logged out of the desktop.

That what I did the third time. ctrl alt F3 to F5 on most distro?

It seems that trying this with a desktop running causes trouble.

Comment

Don't know what the problem with your distro but on my Artix and Gentoo i had no issue at all while instaling plasma 6 inside plasma session, just install then relogin, voila

Comment

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
          Don't know what the problem with your distro but on my Artix and Gentoo i had no issue at all while instaling plasma 6 inside plasma session, just install then relogin, voila
          No problem, but the indication to update from tty to avoid possible problems.
          Each distribution has different upgrade paths and tools. Many KDE Neon users have also had some problems, there are a lot of variables.​

Comment

I am back to not Wayland. I picked plasma X11, and now the problem with qmmp is gone.

I am on opensuse tumbleweed, but found this:

That is exactly the problem I have with qmmp on wayland (openSUSE).

At least now I know what the problem is. Now need to find the right place were to report this.

The update (zypper dup) did work fine, when I did it from a tty. (instead of the konsole from the desktop)
            Thanks god for brtfs snap shots.

I found out too late, KDE warned for this, to not update from the desktop for this update.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post
              When I saw the update on Tumbleweed I canceled it, logged out of my plasma session and installed in a TTY. After reboot it logged into my Wayland (previously chosen default for me) Plasma 6 and everything works smoothly so far.

Looking at users' experiences updating to Plasma 6 on the different distros I think for big updates like this is where "atomic"/immutables really shine. Install the update separately on a new snapshot and activate it on boot.
              I use NixOS btw

Comment

Working...
              X