Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

openSUSE Tumbleweed Begins Rolling Out KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, But No Wayland Default Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Begins Rolling Out KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, But No Wayland Default Yet

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Begins Rolling Out KDE Plasma 6 Desktop, But No Wayland Default Yet

The openSUSE Tumbleweed rolling release Linux distribution has begun rolling out the KDE Plasma 6.0.1, Gear 24.02 apps, and Frameworks 6.0 packages. Plasma 5 is being replaced within the Tumbleweed repository but openSUSE Tumbleweed isn't yet transitioning to the Wayland session by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i done the updated yesterday, that work well and i use wayland (intel video card)
    i noticed less cpu and ram consumed

Comment

so they are specifically customizing their distro to go against upstream? Lame.

Comment

Argh. So KDE Connect is reason for the fact about a long time for starting Plasma6 now!​
        Last edited by Rovano; 14 March 2024, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Just updated the system and everything works smoothly. Haven't noticed much difference from the previous.

Comment

openSUSE is possibly the best distro for KDE.

Comment

As a Wayland supporter, this move makes sense to me. I'm sure a large chunk of Plasma 6's bugs are Wayland-specific, and X11 in general is less error-prone. I'm sure once the dust settles with bug reports, Tumbleweed can enable Wayland by default.

Comment

Probably best to run the update from a TTY or the IceWM session and not from the Plasma 5 session.

Comment

Howto : Update to KDE Plasma 6

Do not forget to backup your ~/.config

Comment

Still not working for me. Update is borked, just like with the Frameworks repo and the betas. But since I use an AMD CPU/APU, no one takes me seriously.

Comment

Working...
                    X