System76 Now Planning For COSMIC Desktop Alpha Release In Late May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleid View Post

On the other hand, the opposing party doesn't even try to argue they allow other views xD
    Fwiw, I didn't mean that in its original sense (politics). I was just pointing out how many people actually "reason" these days.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Windows 1 is still available for a good price if you know where to shop
      There's a joke to be made about that and tiling window managers, but I don't have enough brain cells today to get there.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      it's really nice to use libcosmic
      That's really good to hear. I'll try it out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You can ask Richard Hughes what a pleasure it is to work with System76. How they discredited fwupd to not look like absolute clowns to develop their in house solution instead of using the already established standard just so users have a harder time using other distros than their own on their hardware.
        Maybe they're just tired of everybody just accepting whatever solution Red Hat throws at the wall as the "established best solution" to every problem? fwupd is not perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post

And that was the bullet that killed Unity. Alienating other distros on purpose means boycotting useful third party feedback (bug reports, code and donations) which are the main strength of any open source software.
          I have to point out that Unity was not alienated from other distros on purpose. It just required patched Gnome libraries that no other distro wanted to ship just to add Unity to their repos. That's one of the reasons that the next version of Unity was going through an entire rewrite to Qt, so that it didn't rely on any Gnome libraries at all. At least until Ubuntu nixed the whole project like idiots.

"Rewriting your entire app to stop depending on Gnome libraries" seems to be a common theme around projects, tbh.

Comment

My dream is to have stable DE for Linux without stupid issues, crashes and hope Comic will achieve this. And I hope other distros will start shopping this DE soon so more people can help with testing.

I bet a lot of users want a gnome looking DE but not buggy and with a maintainers with common sense, so if someone will volunteer to work on new feature/issue he will get needed attention to his work and it will be quicker merged.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Maybe they're just tired of everybody just accepting whatever solution Red Hat throws at the wall as the "established best solution" to every problem? fwupd is not perfect.
              Why are we talking about fwupd here? There are no issues between Richard Hughes and System76. This is bogus nonsense. Go ask him directly yourself. I personally wrote software that integrates with fwupd in the Firmware Manager application in Pop!_OS. We have firmware on LVFS for the products that fwupd supports. LVFS pulls firmware from our firmware service the same way it pulls firmware from every other vendor's firmware services. We have an account on LVFS.

Every vendor has an "in-house solution". Every system firmware requires that solution to flash their firmware, and fwupd does the process of setting up those solutions with the fetched firmware on the EFI partition. The "established standard" firmware mechanism that System76's open firmware laptops uses is not supported by fwupd, so system76-firmware (which is GPL software) provides that capability there. Coreboot laptops are uncommon, after all. People are making this out to be something more dramatic than it is in reality.
              Last edited by mmstick; 13 March 2024, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Why are we talking about fwupd here? There are no issues between Richard Hughes and System76. This is bogus nonsense. Go ask him directly yourself. I personally wrote software that integrates with fwupd in the Firmware Manager application in Pop!_OS. We have firmware on LVFS for the products that fwupd supports. LVFS pulls firmware from our firmware service the same way it pulls firmware from every other vendor's firmware services. We have an account on LVFS. Every system firmware requires specialized software to flash, and fwupd does the process of setting up those tools with the fetched firmware on the EFI partition. The firmware mechanism that System76's open firmware laptops uses is not supported by fwupd, so system76-firmware provides that capability there.
                That would be a question for our resident Gnome troll who brought it up, I should think.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  You mean the Purism libadwaita developer? Not a valid experience at all. Intentionally sought to cause discourse with us, and wrote up a hit piece afterwards while calling themselves the victim.
                  I'm not gonna argue who started first, since both parties have opposing stories, but I definitely saw poor behavior going both ways. You guys also had that one developer engaging in child-like behavior by starting threads on Twitter riddled with half truths, and blocking anyone trying to convince him otherwise, before taking all that down.

Anyway, competition drives innovation and is overall good for the ecosystem. I'm looking forward to what the Cosmic team has in store.
                  Last edited by Vermilion; 13 March 2024, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Just signed up a donation payment for pop os (basically cosmic DE) development. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                      I have to point out that Unity was not alienated from other distros on purpose. It just required patched Gnome libraries that no other distro wanted to ship just to add Unity to their repos.
                      Which in practice had the same effect, that's requiring distro specific components to work instead of being distro agnostic like the alternatives. Fortunately System76 already stated that COSMIC will work in other distros too, so we're sure they won't make the same mistake.

Comment

Working...
                      X