No announcement yet.

System76 Now Planning For COSMIC Desktop Alpha Release In Late May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a great idea to delay the project as long as they have to in order to ensure a stable and bug free release.

Unlike KDE, that had no problem releasing a DE with 24,000+ known open bug tickets and accumulating 150-200 a day, System76 can't afford to have even one open known bug report at launch because it will reflect badly on their business and frankly cool any demand spike that may experience the release of COSMIC,

The need to make sure their stuff is tight, and if that means they have to wait a couple of months for a release, then so be it.

Measure twice, but once; you do not get a second chance to make a first impression.

When they release COSMIC it needs to blow everyone away.

Hell, I would take it one step further and ditch Ubuntu as a base distro and use LFS so that I could offer a unique software stack not found anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      I think someone once said, "But they have a right to run their business as they see fit." That should apply to Gnome as well. Their project, their indentation rules, their bug fixing timetable. We have plenty of other options for those of us who don't like Gnome, unlike your favorite, Windows, where you literaly have zero options.
      Gnome technically isn't a business, they are not selling anything, at least not in the traditional sense.

But you are right, they do have the right run their project as they see fit.

But when they make comments about System76's "hubris" because they decided to create a new DE when the Gnome developers have put their hubris on display numerous times over the years, it just takes a lot of balls,

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        We have plenty of other options for those of us who don't like Gnome, unlike your favorite, Windows, where you literally have zero options.
        , You do have options with Windows, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10, Win 11, nothing says you have to use the latest version.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
          Here the official opinion of GNOME developers.

FeLZYptVQAAeCs3.jpg
          As a fellow italian, that "Emmanuele Bassi" does not represent my country, fortunately.
          He's an entitled piece of shit, he's also stupid because instead of having constructive arguments he's being a child and it's not the first time I'm seeing him behave like that.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            But when they make comments about System76's "hubris" because they decided to create a new DE when the Gnome developers have put their hubris on display numerous times over the years, it just takes a lot of balls,
            Hahaha. Got to love those Gnome devs. They are the smartest and best looking people that they have ever met.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
              GNOME developers are completely right IMO. Development of a DE is a huge undertaking. System76 basically want to reinvent everything on top of that, from the ground up (UI toolkit and all), with a rather small team and in a short timeframe. It's not going to work out, the devil is in the details. Not surprising at all that we see delay after delay. I think it's starting to dawn on them what they got themselves into, though...
              Found the one that didn't try COSMIC DE.
              I'm daily driving it and it's faster than GNOME for the most part, the terminal is already miles ahead, the power usage is more efficient and standby doesn't drain my battery like the GNOME session did.
              Also, real hybrid GPU implementation: dope!

Comment

You do have options with Windows, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10, Win 11, nothing says you have to use the latest version.
                Windows 1 is still available for a good price if you know where to shop: https://blog.krnl386.com/index.php?p...ow-up-for-sale

Microsoft actually supported Windows 1 all the way up to 2001. 16 years of support was the longest for any version.

Comment

PoP_OS is not like other distros, these people are in the business of selling complete systems feature a Linux based OS and I for one am on the record with advising them to make it harder for COSMIC to run on other distros.
                  And that was the bullet that killed Unity. Alienating other distros on purpose means boycotting useful third party feedback (bug reports, code and donations) which are the main strength of any open source software.

Also System76 wouldn't have neither the money nor the cult-like customers of companies like Apple to convince (and support) users to drop their current systems just to use their new DE. The only reason Cinnamon from Mint still have many users (despite it's current design limitations) is because they didn't follow the Unity route of "you can only use it in our distro".

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                    They also started cosmic-player.
                    I was surprised to see that. I thought they would leave that up to mpv or vlc or at least use libmpv
                    in the background but they write their own player from ffmpeg dep.
                    Can’t wait to see cosmic-viewer too. Images viewers are an important part of a DE.

Good thing they delayed if it means more polish, more complete, more stable on release day.
                    Using ffmpeg directly is the second best thing to do after libmpv, but relying on ffmpeg and not mpv makes it much more portable, I assume this is probably a big deal for cosmic team since they are pushing a lot for cross platform (windows, linux, redox)​​

Originally posted by sharpjs View Post
                    I remain super excited by COSMIC. As a dev who really likes Rust, I hope it is easy to get into writing apps for this platform.
                    I made a super simple demo for myself and it's really nice to use libcosmic, there is little documentation outside of rust docs, but that plus applications that already exist are more then enough to get started​

Originally posted by Delta_44 View Post

Found the one that didn't try COSMIC DE.
                    I'm daily driving it and it's faster than GNOME for the most part, the terminal is already miles ahead, the power usage is more efficient and standby doesn't drain my battery like the GNOME session did.
                    Also, real hybrid GPU implementation: dope!
                    gpu perf is way better on my igpu (intel dgpu has a regression I havent bisected yet). on my tablet using gnome vs using cosmic is the difference between watching a 720p video and a 1440p video in chrome

Comment

The Gnome developers have nothing to brag about.

These are the people that had a memory leak for 10 years, that they at first denied it existed, then they claimed it was fixed and finally after a decade they got their act together.

They are also the people that will refuse a patch submission unless the author uses either 2 or 8 indentations because anything else they consider "disrespectful" akin to someone walking into your house with muddy shows after you have just mopped the floors.

I'm not kidding, look at their submission guidelines.
                      Respecting the formatting rules is commonplace among open source projects. You wouldn't believe the amount of variations you get just because of people using different IDEs. And that's assuming nobody creates their own formatting rules.

I mean, I'm not Gnome fan, but I am a fan of being factually correct and not being dismissive of others' efforts.

Comment

Working...
                      X