System76 Now Planning For COSMIC Desktop Alpha Release In Late May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's all explained pretty clear over here: https://github.com/pop-os/firmware-manager

It looks to me like they needed the option to distribute firmware updates via their own channel and fwupd was an either/or options.
    Either way, I'm not sure how not using one particular piece of software is an argument that System76 is hard to work with.
    In the same breath it can also be argued that GNOME and Red Hat are difficult to work with. Due to what seems like a mass exodus of 3rd party developers leaving GNOME, I'm going to assume that the GNOME folks are the ones that are hard to work with.

I find it funny how Linux fanatics tout Linux for being open source with software freedoms so users can do whatever they want while simultaneously getting pissed when users actually do whatever they want

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I find it funny how Linux fanatics tout Linux for being open source with software freedoms so users can do whatever they want while simultaneously getting pissed when users actually do whatever they want
      It's the modern way of thinking: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/674...aring-to-other

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
        Here the official opinion of GNOME developers.

FeLZYptVQAAeCs3.jpg
        I'm not sure how well it works, however it would seem there is accessibility support in iced:

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          On the other hand, the opposing party doesn't even try to argue they allow other views xD

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
            Here the official opinion of GNOME developers.

FeLZYptVQAAeCs3.jpg
            oof, the salt dose is lethal here. i use gnome and like it, but this holier-than-thou apple-cult-like attitude is childish and off-putting.

Comment

GNOME developers are completely right IMO. Development of a DE is a huge undertaking. System76 basically want to reinvent everything on top of that, from the ground up (UI toolkit and all), with a rather small team and in a short timeframe. It's not going to work out, the devil is in the details. Not surprising at all that we see delay after delay. I think it's starting to dawn on them what they got themselves into, though...

Comment

Not sure where the screenshot from this article came from, it's badly out of date.

Comment

Update on the COSMIC App Store: https://fosstodon.org/@soller/112083947500126938

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    GNOME developers are completely right IMO. Development of a DE is a huge undertaking. System76 basically want to reinvent everything on top of that, from the ground up (UI toolkit and all), with a rather small team and in a short timeframe. It's not going to work out, the devil is in the details. Not surprising at all that we see delay after delay. I think it's starting to dawn on them what they got themselves into, though...
                    What delays? Have you not noticed how much progress has been made? COSMIC's development is well ahead of schedule. The compositor began development two years ago, and the libcosmic toolkit started a year and a half ago. We were initially planning on releasing Alpha 1 without the core applications, but application development is progressing so quickly that we decided it'd be a waste to cut an alpha without them. So instead of releasing Alpha 1, we are skipping it to go straight to Alpha 2. The planned schedule to release end of summer is still the same. This only affects the release of the first alpha ISO.

Also, you would have to be intentionally lying to claim that System76 is reinventing everything from the ground up. The UI library that libcosmic is based on was already developed by the iced-rs developers long before we decided to use it to build COSMIC's platform toolkit. The windowing library was already developed by the Rust windowing group. The software renderer, tiny_skia, was already developed long prior. The wgpu renderer was created by the gfx-rs team. Accessibility functionality was developed by AccessKit's developers who are now sponsored to integrate it in GNOME. Software localization is performed by the fluent library from the Project Fluent team. I'm confused where you think System76 is doing everything from scratch. Many of the pieces already existed in the Rust ecosystem. We brought the glue and filled in the gaps with a unique design.
                    Last edited by mmstick; 13 March 2024, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by botipua22 View Post

oof, the salt dose is lethal here. i use gnome and like it, but this holier-than-thou apple-cult-like attitude is childish and off-putting.
                      The screenshot misses the context that a year or so earlier System76 had been asked if they wanted to contribute to improved accessibility and according to some people their response had been along the lines that they didn't have the resources. A few months later and they have resources for both accessibility and a whole desktop.

System76 has its own rights what it wants to do with its resources, so we can't complain, but people who dealt with them on an engineering level can validly have bitter experiences.

Comment

Working...
                      X