X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

meh, I just made an extra donation, you keep talking

https://i.ibb.co/3dCDhRM/Screenshot-...-132624-ed.png
    Good news Nate, your financial troubles are over!

He estimated that it would take at least a million Euros a year to do what i propose and what he would like to do and now thanks to the generous donation of mrg666 he only has another 999,980 Euros to go!

What's next, you will contribute 3 lines of code to the project?

You must be very proud of yourself.
    Last edited by sophisticles; 11 March 2024, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Good news Nate, your financial troubles are over!

He estimated that it would take at least a million Euros a year to do what i propose and what he would like to do and now thanks to the generous donation of mrg666 he only has another 999,980 Euros to go!

What's next, you will contribute 3 lines of code to the project?

You must be very proud of yourself.
      Aw, shut up!

Comment

• Originally posted by danilw View Post
        > bug regarding multiple thread access it will

in complex applications - thread stuck bug-behavior happening very often
        rust stuck
        same as C++
        thread will be stuck forever
        to unstuck - you need to kill thread
        Uuuuh, nope?

I don't know what kind of applications you are writing but having a stuck thread is really not a common problem in Rust programs.

And to prove my point, I wasted ~5-10 minutes of my life going through the bug tracker of ripgrep (probably the most used multi threaded IO Rust application out there) and there isn't a single mention of "stuck thread" https://github.com/BurntSushi/ripgre...Aissue+thread+

Granted there are some other bugs, issues but the worst I see is the application crashing (which granted is bad but not thread is stuck bad).

Originally posted by danilw View Post
        This is no, and does not matter if entire OS with all drivers made in Rust.
        And does not matter if hardware-firmaware made in Rust.,
        When there logic-firmware bug, or unexpected event come from other internal device while this device was processing data - remember junk SATA hot-plug implementations and same with USB unplug.
        firmware return unexpected event - software driver crash, your user-software gets driver crash in middle of operation - unexpected - everything crash.
        Your applying logical fallacy here

No one is arguing that Rust can solve all logic bugs and also no one is arguing that Rust interfaces to hardware devices will always work if written in Rust. What people are arguing is that when it comes to resource allocation/freeing, data races, concurrent code, error handling with Result etc etc can be proven to be correct in Rust and it just so happens that some of the hardest to diagnose/critical/security issues falls into this bucket of problems.

Originally posted by danilw View Post
        You can not fix logic bugs by using Rust, and most of bugs in complex apps like webbrowser, or gpu driver, or gpu-firmware, or even KDE or Gnome - is complex logic bugs, unexpected behaviors.
        Actually false, the most complex bugs in places like web browsers are concurrent multithreaded issues that Rust solves. We know this because Rust was actually created by former Mozilla Firefox developers who created the language specifically to deal with the kind of problems that kept on appearing when working with one of the largest non trivial open source C++ codebases out there (Firefox).

It might be hard to comprehend, but the business logic in most cases is not that hard. What makes it hard is when its complected along with memory access in multi threaded scenarios, thats when code execution starts becoming exponentially difficult to reason about.
        Last edited by mdedetrich; 11 March 2024, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Aw, shut up!
          I was going to send 100 euros waiting for an amazing Plasma 6... unlike your miserable 20. 🤭 🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by danilw View Post
            on Vega you can just download this video clip from https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201957
            and it play it - you get your crash
            In my case Vega is in eGPU box, so kind of pointless test. Some comments indicate that crash is also reproducible on Windows, so it's either not a driver issue or this bugreport is just a mix several different issues with similar symptoms. In latter case each one have to be reported to appropriate projects (maybe some bugs is in Mesa, not in the amdgpu?) investigated and fixed separately.
            Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 11 March 2024, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
              I am glad to hear.

Some people do not and think that the quoted 24 000 bugs was for the KDE Desktop Environment when it was across the whole KDE product portfolio.
              Some of those people even publish their ignorance by writing things like
              You are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?

KDE DE stands for KDE Desktop Environment and that encompasses "whole KDE product portfolio".

Unless of course you have a different definition of what a DE is.

Comment

Aw, shut up!
                I will for 20 bucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  KDE DE stands for KDE Desktop Environment
                  Yes, that was obvious.
                  I've even referenced that explicitly.

The actual name of the product is Plasma for which Nate gave the specific bug count as well.

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  and that encompasses "whole KDE product portfolio".
                  Plasma is one of the larger products of the portfolio but nowhere near the whole by a long shot.

There are several applications with comparable code bases, dozens of smaller application across many domains, an increasing number of mobile apps and several development frameworks.

This misunderstanding is particularly weird coming from you since you berated another poster earlier that the Microsoft equivalent pf Plasma is jut Explorer.exe
                  And now you are essentially claiming that Explorer.exe is the whole of the Microsoft portfolio?

Comment

• Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

I was going to send 100 euros waiting for an amazing Plasma 6... unlike your miserable 20. 🤭 🤣
                    You are an entitled freeloader, nothing more. Do it and post here otherwise.

Comment

• I can't quite tell if sophisticles is trolling or just truly that clueless, but I'm leaning towards trolling just based off the sheer number of nonsense posts he's putting out.

Comment

Working...
                      X