No announcement yet.

KDE Developers Are Currently Seeing 150~200 Bug Reports Per Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my opinion Plasma 6 wasn't ready although Wayland run almost flawless on Plasma 5. Plasma 6 wasn't ready for all users at least. As end-user I would like to suggest a checking program to analyze the current packages the specific Os based on KDe Palsma has in order to integrate properly the new packages to install and replace... if something is missed it must be reinstalled together with the new packages.

I understand that many had expectations, but if a product is not full ready it is good to wait in my opinion. I don't know if KDe Neon be the right method to make experiments so to improve Plasma because end-user is not a laboratory rat. End-user can accept to be a laboratory rat if it is payed to act as a rat of laboratory.... so how to finance a project if it is necessary to be payed for that project?

Now, I read that Kubuntu will be proposed with Plasma 5.27 and I understand the reason.

The strategic mistake is that KDe Neon is the main reason enthusiasts could be motivated to support KDe team... I know about those fucking bugs, but bugs cannot be a reason to generate relations with enthusiasts. The way to generate relations is the motivation, however a problematic proposal is demotivating if not frustrating. So how to solve this conflict? My opinion is that KDe Neon must be used only for test proposals by the developers. Then, if this DE applied in several Linux operating systems is able to improve assuring the sufficient reliability, well done, otherwise as many project has an end, KDe Plasma project ends too.

Sincerely, after the good experience provided by Plasma 5 as end-user I cannot imagine Plasma 6 were so mediocre, unreliable and sometimes unusable too. I know that it is the beginning, but end-user cannot accept a similar result.

So, the first consequence is that I have no motivation in financing this kind of project, unlike what I was going to make. The second consequence is that I'll move to Kubuntu 24.04 in April, since I have been used to Plasma for years. I'm not going to wait for Plasma 7 (sarcasm). So I'll evaluate Kubuntu 24.04 during its utilization and I'll abandon Plasma definitely in case my experience worsens for any also stupid reason.
    Last edited by MorrisS.; 11 March 2024, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      You do know that I have a degree in Biology, right?
      No, but I guess that explains your lack of expertise in how to run a project.
      Depending on the species of ant, a queen can lay hundreds to thousands of eggs per day:

So yes, unless you kill the queen, you have accomplished nothing.
      As you said, depends on the species. If we're talking single-queen colonies, the egg count is typically in the hundreds. So, since we're talking about only hundreds of software bugs per day rather than thousands, the analogy is more similar to the single-queen colonies. Start smashing ants one by one for a couple hours of such a colony and you're definitely compromising the ability for more ants to be produced.

Comment

• Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
        In my opinion Plasma 6 wasn't ready although Wayland run almost flawless on Plasma 5. Plasma 6 wasn't ready for all users at least. As end-user I would like to suggest a checking program to analyze the current packages the specific Os based on KDe Palsma has in order to integrate properly the new packages to install and replace... if something is missed it must be reinstalled together with the new packages.

I understand that many had expectations, but if a product is not full ready it is good to wait in my opinion. I don't know if KDe Neon be the right method to make experiments so to improve Plasma because end-user is not a laboratory rat. End-user can accept to be a laboratory rat if it is payed to act as a rat of laboratory.... so how to finance a project if it is necessary to be payed for that project?

Now, I read that Kubuntu will be proposed with Plasma 5.27 and I understand the reason.

The strategic mistake is that KDe Neon is the main reason enthusiasts could be motivated to support KDe team... I know about those fucking bugs, but bugs cannot be a reason to generate relations with enthusiasts. The way to generate relations is the motivation, however a problematic proposal is demotivating if not frustrating.

So how to solve this conflict? My opinion is that KDe Neon must be used only for test proposals by the developers. Then, if this DE applied in several Linux operating systems is able to improve assuring the sufficient reliability, well done, otherwise as many project has an end, KDe Plasma project ends too.

Sincerely, after the good experience provided by Plasma 5 as end-user I cannot imagine Plasma 6 were so mediocre, unreliable and sometimes unusable too. I know that it is the beginning, but end-user cannot accept a similar result.

So, the first consequence is that I have no motivation in financing this kind of project, unlike what I was going to make. The second consequence is that I'll move to Kubuntu 24.04 in April, since I have been used to Plasma for years. I'm not going to wait for Plasma 7 (sarcasm). So I'll evaluate Kubuntu 24.04 during its utilization and I'll abandon Plasma definitely in case my experience worsens for any also stupid reason.
        meh, I just made an extra donation, you keep talking

Comment

• Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
          Mmm... it's working for me, and for other people, for example with the Steam Deck :
          ​
          idk why you link to kde website, when there https://www.protondb.com/

To crash AMD GPU in Steam deck, that has Valve drivers - literally best AMD driver for AMD GPU that exist - to crash that Steam Deck GPU - you can just launch OpenGL game from Steam... that all.
          Not even speaking about thousand other DX8-9-10-11-12 games from Steam that crash it way too easy, even Helldivers2 crash this GPU.
          Crash of entire OS and user session - is not expected experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            I mean it prevents multiple access to the same areas of memory by different threads, and also same resources such as networking. Its not going to solve all logic bugs, but if have a bug regarding multiple thread access it will
            > bug regarding multiple thread access it will

in complex applications - thread stuck bug-behavior happening very often
            rust stuck
            same as C++
            thread will be stuck forever
            to unstuck - you need to kill thread
            killing thread - will affect all resources thread used
            who monitor half-written resources - not rust, not C++, but your logic
            who will free additional resources affected by this thread like opened network sockets or/and file i/o - not rust, not C++, your logic
            who will free VRAM and gpu-rendering-pipeline that was used by this thread that stuck and can not free those any longer because it killed - you will do it with some junk-hacks

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            Does Rust have any protection against GPU-bugs - no.
            Does Rust have any protection against device-communication bugs - no.​
            This is yes and no because it depends on how much of the logic is implemented in drivers and how much is done in Rust. On Rust's side it most definitely can prevent these issues but if there is an issue in driver then obviously it cannot do anything about it
            This is no, and does not matter if entire OS with all drivers made in Rust.
            And does not matter if hardware-firmaware made in Rust.,
            When there logic-firmware bug, or unexpected event come from other internal device while this device was processing data - remember junk SATA hot-plug implementations and same with USB unplug.
            firmware return unexpected event - software driver crash, your user-software gets driver crash in middle of operation - unexpected - everything crash.

You can not fix logic bugs by using Rust, and most of bugs in complex apps like webbrowser, or gpu driver, or gpu-firmware, or even KDE or Gnome - is complex logic bugs, unexpected behaviors.
            Last edited by danilw; 11 March 2024, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by danilw View Post
              To crash AMD GPU in Steam deck, that has Valve drivers - literally best AMD driver for AMD GPU that exist - to crash that Steam Deck GPU - you can just launch OpenGL game from Steam... that all.
              Not even speaking about thousand other DX8-9-10-11-12 games from Steam that crash it way too easy, even Helldivers2 crash this GPU.
              Crash of entire OS and user session - is not expected experience.
              Well, in this case it's isn't best AMD GPU driver, because I don't have any of these issues on Vega 64.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

Well, in this case it's isn't best AMD GPU driver, because I don't have any of these issues on Vega 64.
                on Vega you can just download this video clip from https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201957
                and it play it - you get your crash

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

meh, I just made an extra donation, you keep talking

https://i.ibb.co/3dCDhRM/Screenshot-...-132624-ed.png
                  Only 20 euros!? Well I hope you will make other ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Took just a bit more than this
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etBoJJ0GZI8
                    So you pattern your belief systems after Foghorn Leghorn and Sylvester?

One of the new Foghorn Leghorn shorts from Season 2 of the Looney Tunes Cartoons on HBO Max! Like and Subscribe for more toons!The Looney Tunes Characters ar...

The Best of Egghead Jr vs Foghorn Leghorn. Basically, Egghead doesn't have time for Foghorn's garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                      Oh yes, it does. More importantly being Free Software makes the Linux kernel what it is.
                      Being open source made it possible to adapt it to almost any conceivable device, being Free Software made it possible for each new adaptor to build on the work of all the others.
                      No, Linux is what it is because Microsoft, Intel, Red Hat and a slew of others contribute a combined 177 million dollars a year to the Linux foundation and wrote large troves of code for Linus to review and mainline.

As for being adaptable, both Windows and MAC OS run on cell phones, tablets, Windows runs on cash registers, ATMs, gaming consoles, the list is endless.

Linux is no more or less adaptable than any other kernel.

You saw what Nate says, he agrees with many of the things I proposed, it would take at least a million bucks a year to do it.

So basically there's nothing wrong with KDE that some serious cash can't cure.

Comment

Working...
                      X