No announcement yet.

KDE Developers Are Currently Seeing 150~200 Bug Reports Per Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go get 'em Nate. KDE(as the human element) is doing the good work with the resources you (the KDE team) have. If you're being compared to trillion spacebuck companies, I'd take that as a free ticket to watch your own show, and pat yourselves on the back (when you've closed your 3 million bugs).
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      This is the epitome of being a half-assed project, if Microsoft or Apple released an OS that was garnering 6000 bug reports a month, spite the vastly higher usage of Windows and Mac OS compared to Linux+KDE, then the open source zealots would be crowing up a storm.
      LOL. I think it's hilarious you think something like a new windows OS release doesn't get 6,000 bug reports a month. They probably get more than that per day, given the high number of users.

The only difference is you can't see it because it's not public.

Comment

I would stop all further development until every last bug was gone. I would also get rid of all the developers, the project supposedly generates about 300k a year, i would hire 2 people with Masters degrees in Computer Science from a well respected program, pay them each 150 a year with a business plan that once all the bugs are eliminated and i could honestly say it is 100% bug free and reliable, then I would split the project into the current free open source one and a version that is highly optimized for performance with handcrafted assembler everywhere possible,
        Jesus christ you are so clueless when it comes to how software is developed, either open or closed source.

This is not how it works in any software project.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

To put it even more in perspective, I worked as a release engineer at Apple from 2009 through the end of 2016, and I can tell you that Apple got far more bug reports than that from purely internal sources (which is a rough equivalent of the kinds of people who submit bug reports to FOSS). Right now KDE has over 24,000 open bug reports; by the time I left Apple, the internal bug tracker had over 2 million. This was at a company that tightly controls the environment that its software can run on, unlike KDE which is far more permissive.

I'm not sure your standard is attainable for anything other than limited functionality embedded non-user-facing software with a fixed software stack and hardware deployment target.
          Please don't waste your time with this person. He obviously has some mental issues.

I use Plasma daily and I appreciate all you and the whole project is doing. If my opinion does not matter, at least Valve and millions of Steam Deck owners also appreciate.

Comment

Simple request - PLEASE re enable Font DPI Scaling.

Plasma 6 has me considering gnome (after MANY years being a KDE pundit). Plasma 6's scaling is just like 5 was. Blurry, oversized, disproportionate icons with ugly toolbars and fonts. Instead Font DPI allows icons and every thing to be 1:1 no blurry crap. It appears that scaling was not tested at all. Why DISABLE a function that allows people with > 1080p screens (or small laptop screens) to use KDE before the scaling features are even completed?

I've also got major cursor stutter (Like good old Windows crashes) with Brave, Misclicks on the toolbar open apps that are in the system tray literally on the other side of the toolbar. ie you click the kde app menu and app in sys tray opens. Spectacle with > 1 mon is annoying as heck, keeps moving to the monitor I want to take a snapshot of meaning it ends up taking a screenshot of itself.

Telegram and other apps are blurry messes.

Honestly never had such a anti climax with a KDE launch. Only reason to use gnome for me would be dpi scaling. I can live with the other quirks as they get fixed but the scaling issues means KDE is just unusable period.
            Last edited by dfyt; 10 March 2024, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dfyt View Post
              Simple request - PLEASE re enable Font DPI Scaling.

Plasma 6 has me considering gnome (after MANY years being a KDE pundit). Plasma 6's scaling is just like 5 was. Blurry, oversized, disproportionate icons with ugly toolbars and fonts. Instead Font DPI allows icons and every thing to be 1:1 no blurry crap. It appears that scaling was not tested at all. Why DISABLE a function that allows people with > 1080p screens (or small laptop screens) to use KDE before the scaling features are even completed?

I've also got major cursor stutter (Like good old Windows crashes) with Brave, Misclicks on the toolbar open apps that are in the system tray literally on the other side of the toolbar. ie you click the kde app menu and app in sys tray opens. Spectacle with > 1 mon is annoying as heck, keeps moving to the monitor I want to take a snapshot of meaning it ends up taking a screenshot of itself.

Telegram and other apps are blurry messes.

Honestly never had such a anti climax with a KDE launch. Only reason to use gnome for me would be dpi scaling. I can live with the other quirks as they get fixed but the scaling issues means KDE is just unusable period.
              Looks perfect to me with 225% scaling at 2880x1920 resolution of this 12.5 inch display.
              see below links

https://ibb.co/0tDM3nd

https://ibb.co/wp1DJc7

No need for font dpi setting. That is an X11 relic. But I hear Gnome is very nice. Don't let this stop you from switching to Gnome.
              Last edited by mrg666; 10 March 2024, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                In the original article is written: "It means that people are using the software! Most of the bug reports actually not about KDE issues at all: graphics driver issues, bugs in themes, and bugs in 3rd-party apps. And many are duplicates of existing known issues, or really weird exotic issues only reproducible with specific combinations of off-by-default settings."
                Yes, but there will always be someone who [intentionally] misreads a sentence and others will follow suit.

Comment

But, 24,000 bugs to me is unacceptable, this smacks of really poor management.
                  But over 2 million bugs is acceptable for you? Can you point me to windows bugtracker? How many bugs are there? Ten millions? I know people don't even care reporting windows bugs, because of handicapped windows support:

m$: did you try reinstalling the software?
                  me: yes.
                  m$: oh..

When comes to KDE it's a big project with big applications. Krita alone will get many bug reports.
                  Last edited by Volta; 10 March 2024, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    When comes to KDE it's a big project with big applications. Krita alone will get many bug reports.
                    Hmm I never thought about Krita. Apparently Kdenlive also counts, as do several web browsers, none of which are going to be low on bugs any time soon. That's not a jab at the devs for them, it's just the nature of how complex such programs are.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                      windows, How many bugs are there?
                      So typical Linux fanboy like you count the bugs:

E.g. the error occurred in MSQM. .NET, apnet .net core., IIS, WSL, Hyper-V etc. and of course appeared in bugtracker.

Linux fan: yea, windows shit! 10 million bugs! A billion! What a shit! Yea!

If a similar error occurs in the Linux counterpart, e.g. ActiveMQ, OpejJDK, Spring, Apache, Wine, KVM, .

Linux fan: This is not Linux!!!! These are separate components so it doesn't count. This is not allowed to count!!!!

Meanwhile, Windows users who have to deal with Linux every day look with pity at such people.

Last edited by HEL88; 10 March 2024, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X