KDE Developers Are Currently Seeing 150~200 Bug Reports Per Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

At least Fedora and Ubuntu both have a crash report tool that automatically generates a crash dump of any crashed app. So it's not like OSS doesn't have such things at all. And AFAIK, both Gnome and KDE have some kind of opt-in telemetry. When it comes to telemetry, I do think that it should be just enabled for everyone, because otherwise it's kinda usless if only the minority voluntarily enable it. Personally, I fine with some level of telemetry, but not to the point of tracking every minute of my computer usage, which software I use and how much time, like on Windows.
    Keyword bring "opt-in". I am all for opt-in, in general. For for stuff that is aimed at clueless users, opt-in means the feature will see little to no usage.
    Also, KDE's automated bug reports is of the areas where it falls flat on its face, imho. Ever did that "oh snap, it crashed, you want to report it? yes, I do! sorry, you can't, I don't know where to send bug reports for this app" dance? I'll admit, I haven't dome that in a while, because I had no crashes to report (hopefully I didn't jinx it). so maybe it got better. But it was definitely one those "wth?" areas in KDE.

Comment

FWIW we do have opt-in fully automatic crash reporting now in Plasma 6.

But this isn't enough; there are many kinds of bugs and defects besides just crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post

" Who is KDE neon for? 🔗

KDE neon is intended for those who want to experience the latest and greatest KDE software as quickly as possible. Though KDE developers endeavor to minimize bugs and maximize stability, using the latest software the moment it's released will inevitably result in a less stable experience compared to distros that delay software by days, weeks, or months. As such, the ideal KDE neon user is someone excited to use the latest and greatest KDE software who can tolerate some bumps in the road from time to time, not someone with mission-critical reliability needs."

In addition as the showcase KDE distro and in their rush to get Plasma 6 out the door first, KDE Neon royally messed up the upgrade and have a large number of issues not seen on other distros with Plasma 6, due to integration issues.
        Ok, but it worked almost perfectly under Palsma 5... so the regressions are disturbing a lot. Why a deskttop able to manage monitor suspension is no longer able just after the upgrade? Same card, same drivers, same system manager, new packages... but bugs. Something has no logic about the concept of upgrade. An upgrade is meant to be better than its predecessor otherwise it is not an upgrade it is a regression.

Another issue occurred to some users.... extreme slowness in Wayland environment because of mesa hardware acceleration packages missed due to previous uninstall. Why mesa drivers are needed if Nvidia proprietary drivers are installed above all when the same kind of system packages assured the operating system to run flawlessly? No logic. An upgrade must have some kind of routines in order to verify all packages needed before to be applied in every specific end-user context. An end-user cannot becomes a programmer so to be able to use its operating system.

About what you question on KDe Neon: KDe Neon stands for bugs. Since its real nature is that of a drug. Are you stating that KDe Neon users are used as tester?! If this is the nature of relation among end-users and KDe Neon... it means that KDe Neon is a drug... to scam users. It's dangerous this kind of logic because donors will not agreed with it.
        Last edited by MorrisS.; 09 March 2024, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You can spin it like that if you wish, I'll give you my spin:
          1. This is a major release, not many people wanted, could or wished to take betas/RCs for a spin. So actual release is where the major uptake happens.
          2. Pour as many resources as you wish in the KDE foundation, they will never be able to replicate the infinity of users' setups in their labs. Between multi-screen, VRR, HDMI, DisplayPort, all sorts of input devices, legacy devices... good enough is, realistically speaking, all you hope for.

As a side note, it's very likely many of the bug reports are duplicates. Their big tracker is ancient, the only way you'll find someone else has already reported the same thing is by chance.

They're actuelly doing a very good job with old issues and duplicates. The only thing steadily rising in their bugtracker are resolved issued, as can be seen here: https://bugs.kde.org/reports.cgi?pro...ONFIRMED&datas ets=CONFIRMED&datasets=ASSIGNED&datasets=REOPENED& datasets=RESOLVED

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I get what you're saying, but it's unrealistic to expect most users to become free beta testers. I mean, people have a job, life, they might be busy all day. So when they come home and turn on their computer for the remaining hour or two of the day, they expect a stable, reliable working system. You might disagree with me, but let's be honest, the average Windows or Mac user doesn't even know how to report bugs. He just turns on his system and it just works. Of course I'm not implying that Windows or Mac are bug free, but that's the reality. And imo it's not a good look on open source software that requires a huge and endless amount of user testing in order to remain stable and usable. At least to me, this is a rather sad reality. But given these circumstances, I completely agree that it's a good thing there's a huge increase in bug reports with the release of a new major version.
          For anyone on Arch Linux or KDE Neon complaining they don't like bugs in their desktop: you're doing it to yourself. Stop. Plasma 6 hasn't even landed in Tumbleweed or Fedora yet. Use a stable release distro and and you'll probably have less bugs in Plasma 6 once it lands than there are in Plasma 5 atm.​

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

About what you question on KDe Neon: KDe Neon stands for bugs. Since its real nature is that of a drug. Are you stating that KDe
            I don't know you you insist on miscapitalizing KDE but it'd kindly ask you to stop. For the rest of your - errrm - "opinion", you should probably take your meds.

Comment

Nate noted that KDE typically sees 30~50 bug reports per today but currently they are seeing 150~200 new reports per day. Nate attributes this to more people using the software and some bug reports being around graphics drivers or third-party issues or duplicate
              To put this in perspective, KDE normally gets 900-1500 bug reports a month but currently they are track to receive 4500-6000 bug reports in the first month of release.

But I'm a troll, idiot, asshole, dummy, moron, stupid, don't know what I'm talking about and so on, because I expect a project to thoroughly test their software before releasing it.

This is the epitome of being a half-assed project, if Microsoft or Apple released an OS that was garnering 6000 bug reports a month, spite the vastly higher usage of Windows and Mac OS compared to Linux+KDE, then the open source zealots would be crowing up a storm.

But because this is an open source project then it's OK.

Serious question, if KDE wasn't free and you had to pay a per seat license to use it would the community be OK with a release that wasn't thoroughly tested and bug free?

I think we know the answer to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

but the header of this article was prepared to be used as a weapon against KDE, as usually happens with the "strong support for GNOME" of Phoronix.
                Maybe you differentiate between your proclaimed bias of Michael, but he is only 1 person here when you read the comments they are heavily biased pro KDE and hateful towards Gnome, and I mean hateful, because the same people that basically say I think gnome is crap and I will never use it again, but XY should be this way I prefer, even going so far on attacking gnome devs about wearing glasses and therefor not agreeing with his bug report.

So if you don't want to use a Desktop why would you shit write about it here, the only reason I write here now is 1. to compare to the positive news about VRR in gnome 46 and stuff with 90% gnome bashing comments with this here and because you specifically addressed bias so basically the meta discussion.

Comment

My opinion is that KDE should work to be the desktop to attract new people.
                  ANd let's face it: new people won't be computer pro's. Those already know about Linux and tried it one way or the other.
                  KDE should attract noobs. But there is a problem here, besides lack of supported software: Simplicity.

​​​​​The people I've introduced to Linux have common needs like:
                  How to format a USB thumb drive.( Installing third party software wont cut it, they come from Windows).

How to see which drivers are installed. Windows does a very good job here with Dev Manager.

​​​​​ANy simple way of seeing what device was just plugged?( Besides thumb drives). What about a GUI for banning printers?(Inside a office with multiple printers)

​​​​​​There are many more papercuts that needs to be resolved to make Linux noob friendly. We have come a long way since 2007( since I've started). But we are a long way off still.

But KDE 6 it's a good start. A bit of overhyped marketing, some Eye Candy( many users including me came to linux for Compiz). So thank you m and the rest for this amazing work.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

I don't know you you insist on miscapitalizing KDE but it'd kindly ask you to stop. For the rest of your - errrm - "opinion", you should probably take your meds.
                    Put this elementary concept into your mind: "An upgrade is meant to be better than its predecessor otherwise it is not an upgrade it is a regression."
                    Last edited by MorrisS.; 09 March 2024, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

Put this elementary concept into your mind: "An upgrade is meant to be better than its predecessor otherwise it is not an upgrade it is a regression."
                      If you're this pedantic, then consider this: it's a release, not an upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                      X