GTK 4.14 To Provide Crisper Font Rendering, Better Fractional Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK 4.14 To Provide Crisper Font Rendering, Better Fractional Scaling

Phoronix: GTK 4.14 To Provide Crisper Font Rendering, Better Fractional Scaling

The upcoming GTK 4.14 toolkit release with the new renderers should yield crisper font rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully Firefox developers will have a look at this as I don't find the fonts in Firefox crisp!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Hopefully Firefox developers will have a look at this as I don't find the fonts in Firefox crisp!
      They wont. They have their own stack - only a few things use GTK, none of the web rendering.

Comment

I alternated between the two sample images and I think the new way does look noticeably better...sharper and less blurry.

Michael
        notes he moved fron the "large text"

Comment

Sharpness is not a metric.

There is no usecase for crisp fonts.

t. Emmanuele Bassi​

​Screenshot_20240307_153914.jpg​
          Last edited by hf_139; 07 March 2024, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
            Sharpness is not a metric.

There is no usecase for crisp fonts.
            I know you were taking the piss, but do you know what hinting (and anti-aliasing) is?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

I know you were taking the piss, but do you know what hinting (and anti-aliasing) is?
              Please don't leave comments if you have nothing to say

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Please don't leave comments if you have nothing to say
                Oh I had something to say and I said it. (and yes, I get the reference. More childish trolling. Forums are for random comments, not issue queues which are for identifying and working towards solutions.)

My only mistake was not realise who I was responding to. It would have been more fruitful to bang my head against a brick wall.

Comment

Using a very technical reading of their own rules, hf_139 can no longer leave comments since that user literally has "n*th*ng t* s*y" and is the only one here in possession of that text. I made sure to use the censored version as to not censor myself from future posts

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

I know you were taking the piss, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X