Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0.1 Released With First Batch Of Bug Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0.1 Released With First Batch Of Bug Fixes

It's been just six days since the release of KDE MegaRelease 6 with Plasma 6.0 and while it's popular with users and smoother than prior major KDE releases, out today is Plasma 6.0.1 for the first round of bug-fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So kde take one week for a minor release? Is it a new thing or always been like that?

Comment

Tar balls were ready something like a week before release, so it's more like 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        So kde take one week for a minor release? Is it a new thing or always been like that?
        KDE Plasma minor releases are scheduled using the fibonacci sequence in weeks. So the first minor release (.1) is released one week after the .0, the second one (.2) is released one week after that, the third one (.3) two weeks after that, and so on. This is not new and has been the schedule for a while now.

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Tar balls were ready something like a week before release, so it's more like 2 weeks.
        I think you're confused about something. The tarballs for 6.0.0 were available a week before the official release (though many received respins to pick up new bugfixes). This post however is about the release of 6.0.1 which had tarballs generated from the stable 6.0 branches immediately before the release announcement. In fact, the tarballs were generated and released so quickly that the release team apparently didn't notice that the release scripts had mangled the Cmake files a bit and both kpipewire and breeze-gtk didn't actually build without fixup patches.

Comment

Waiting for Debian developers to package it for unstable / testing. It should fix one annoying adaptive sync bug in Kwin hopefully for halved refresh rate vs full framerate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangogeddon View Post
            I think you're confused about something. The tarballs for 6.0.0 were available a week before the official release (though many received respins to pick up new bugfixes). This post however is about the release of 6.0.1 which had tarballs generated from the stable 6.0 branches immediately before the release announcement.
            "Confused about something". Yes, if there really would be two kinds of "release tar balls" with actual code changes, that would indeed confuse me (as it'd be stupid).

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
              Probably some low hanging/urgent fixes to push.

Comment

As i said in the other thread, I have no plans to try this release, at least for a while.

This DE was just released and they already found bugs significant enough to warrant a updated version.

This is what i keep talking about with open source software, why do these projects not completely test their software and eliminate all the bugs before they release it.

It would look much more professional if they waited a week and released their "KDE MegaRelease 6" with no bugs to fix.

As it stands now, I fully expect to see another such article in a week or so about bug fixes.

These open source projects really need to get their QA in order.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  As i said in the other thread, I have no plans to try this release, at least for a while.

This DE was just released and they already found bugs significant enough to warrant a updated version.

This is what i keep talking about with open source software, why do these projects not completely test their software and eliminate all the bugs before they release it.

It would look much more professional if they waited a week and released their "KDE MegaRelease 6" with no bugs to fix.

As it stands now, I fully expect to see another such article in a week or so about bug fixes.

These open source projects really need to get their QA in order.
                  ??? This is actually doing 90% better then most software out there... they released a new minor version with a number of fixes a FULL WEEK after the major release!! Most software these days needs at least a massive multi-gb day zero patch just to not crash on first run!

Comment

I think devs doing great with it, it's point release and for now there is no huge bugs which can stop from using it. I have Neon upgraded to 6.0 first day - faced only 2 issues (power off from UI and discover not run, so console helps for 2 days with it), and fixed with updates first and second day after. For now only good things about 6 release.

Comment

Working...
                    X