Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

That is why we have to abandon GNOME.
    It's clearly not up to the task and the paid RedHat developers are getting lazier by the day.
    Trolls like you are getting lazier by the day as well 🙄

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Proper multi-monitor is a key part here - VRR on xorg is single-monitor only AFAIK.
      I'm okay with that. Only my main monitor supports VRR anyway. Question is, will I be able to get it working on my main display while having my other monitors hooked up, or will I have to unplug them to get VRR working, as is the case on x.org? We will see I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I'm okay with that. Only my main monitor supports VRR anyway. Question is, will I be able to get it working on my main display while having my other monitors hooked up, or will I have to unplug them to get VRR working, as is the case on x.org? We will see I guess.
        It's explicitly meant to work for individual monitors. You should be able to have arbitrary combinations of VRR and non-VRR monitors, each running at their own refresh rate (and rotation etc.). That's why I find it difficult to say that VRR "works" on Xorg - it only does in very constrained cases.

Comment

These 1% of users affected by multi-monitor issues etc. are of course a legitimate reason to make lives of the remaining 99% worse by discussing edge cases for years.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Ok, so now we only need HDR, 16 bit color channels, 8k and 16k support, 9+ vulkan devices, color management in Wayland and wide support for Adobe RGB, and DCI-P3 etc. in all software, rootless X, Zink is still slower than old opengl drivers. Open source CUDA support, kms, opengl 4.6, and vulkan drivers for DisplayLink USB2/USB3.... that's the minimum before any normal user can use Linux on desktop.
            Normal users? What os/de supports them?

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post

I donate to ubuntu every 2 year when new LTS is released, I ignore Server and IoT but split donation between community, canonical and desktop. I don't want to be involved into a coding and asking a question is not a hostile action. It's just weird that they needed 3 years for such feature. I am honestly waiting for something new and more innovative so I can back them with my $.
              Yeah. If talking in a forum is considered "whining", then why are we all here?

Comment

On Mastodon, Niels De Graef indicated a few hours ago:

« Note that part of the reason it's still marked experimental is also due to factors outside of GNOME such as several problematic kernel driver bugs »

As a simple user, I prefer GNOME to offer me an excellent, truly stable user experience, rather than making me believe I can use a feature for which I'll have many problems.

So to make people believe that everything is fine on other projects, when they will face the same kernel driver bugs, is for me a big lie.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  These 1% of users affected by multi-monitor issues etc. are of course a legitimate reason to make lives of the remaining 99% worse by discussing edge cases for years.
                  Linux itself is a 1% case.

But ignoring that, VRR monitors are probably a 0.1% case. I dont think I have actually ever even seen a VRR capable display in person (though I may have passed some laptops with the feature without knowing so).

The number of users who will invest in what were such expensive display devices will probably also invest in multiple dispays. I wouldn't even be surprised if the majority of VRR monitor owners also owned secondary displays.

So for this edge case, I would suggest the edge cases matter.

Comment

Cool I guess for those that use Gnome, I'd prefer if Intel/AMD made their own control panel so I can have a consistent experience with every distro just like I do with Nvidia drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Linux itself is a 1% case.

But ignoring that, VRR monitors are probably a 0.1% case. I dont think I have actually ever even seen a VRR capable display in person (though I may have passed some laptops with the feature without knowing so).

The number of users who will invest in what were such expensive display devices will probably also invest in multiple dispays. I wouldn't even be surprised if the majority of VRR monitor owners also owned secondary displays.

So for this edge case, I would suggest the edge cases matter.
                      You are right: GOL reports 44% of its users having 2 monitors or more, and 36% using VRR to a certain degree.

I think technologies like VRR and HDR are very important and need to be supported as those types of monitor are getting more widespread these days. They are very efficient at improving user experience without taxing the hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X