Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutter Merges Experimental Variable Refresh Rate For GNOME 46

Phoronix: Mutter Merges Experimental Variable Refresh Rate For GNOME 46

It's happened! After three years in the making, the GNOME desktop Variable Refresh Rate "VRR" support has been merged after obtaining a feature freeze exception for GNOME 46 due out later in March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can someone explain if 3 years for this PR was justified timeframe? Although I use ubuntu, gnome, for me as for a user it looked like a shit show, or it wasn't and it required a lot back and forth to verify if everything is in compliance with wayland, compositor, gnome senior devs, etc?
    Gnome is backed by a redhat, and I supposed they would be interested in such feature and would push it.

Well, just curious.

Comment

Now this is a standing ovation moment

Comment

had really bad experience with VRR on KDE about month ago. I hope Gnome is going to be better.

Comment

Does this work with both x.org and wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
            Can someone explain if 3 years for this PR was justified timeframe? Although I use ubuntu, gnome, for me as for a user it looked like a shit show, or it wasn't and it required a lot back and forth to verify if everything is in compliance with wayland, compositor, gnome senior devs, etc?
            If you read through the PR or have been a working on anything remotely as involved, you will find the answer more aligned with the latter and see all the things they had to work through but if someone wants to whine about how along something takes without lifting a finger except to fling abuse at people working on it and wanting everything in a silver platter for free, this forum has plenty of such users too. Take your pick.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

If you read through the PR or have been a working on anything remotely as involved, you will find the answer more aligned with the latter and see all the things they had to work through but if someone wants to whine about how along something takes without lifting a finger except to fling abuse at people working on it and wanting everything in a silver platter for free, this forum has plenty of such users too. Take your pick.
              I donate to ubuntu every 2 year when new LTS is released, I ignore Server and IoT but split donation between community, canonical and desktop. I don't want to be involved into a coding and asking a question is not a hostile action. It's just weird that they needed 3 years for such feature. I am honestly waiting for something new and more innovative so I can back them with my $.
              Last edited by pharmasolin; 02 March 2024, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I donate to ubuntu every 2 year when new LTS is released, I ignore Server and IoT but split donation between community, canonical and desktop. I don't want to be involved into a coding and asking a question is not a hostile action. It's just weird that they needed 3 years for such feature. i honestly waiting for something new and more innovative so I can back them with my $.
                Donating to Canonical doesn't help GNOME much fyi. GNOME has a non-profit foundation if you want to contribute there. You don't need to be a coder to get involved. Testing and providing feedback is just one of many alternative avenues to contribute available. If you have made up your mind that it is weird and not something new and took however long it took to work through the details, not sure why you asked.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
                  Testing and providing feedback is just one of many alternative avenues to contribute available.
                  Yea, sure, I with my gnome 42.9 on ubuntu LTS could go and submit bug reports 😂 Those suggestions should be targeted do somebody who is on an edge: arch, fedora.

https://ubuntu.com/community/contribute/donation looks like some portion is going to a community, and ubuntu also have devs who contribute to gnome and I want to support them with my share.

Comment

I donate to ubuntu every 2 year when new LTS is released, I ignore Server and IoT but split donation between community, canonical and desktop. I don't want to be involved into a coding and asking a question is not a hostile action. It's just weird that they needed 3 years for such feature. I am honestly waiting for something new and more innovative so I can back them with my $.
                    If you care about the development of GNOME, then I would recommend that you donate to them directly, that's how you can make the most impact. The Sovereign Tech Fund's grant is helping a lot of work right get done right now in GNOME, so donations always help.

Comment

Working...
                    X