Mutter Merges Experimental Variable Refresh Rate For GNOME 46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pharmasolin View Post
    Yea, sure, I with my gnome 42.9 on ubuntu LTS could go and submit bug reports 😂 Those suggestions should be targeted do somebody who is on an edge: arch, fedora.
    It looks like you were aware that you could contribute without coding knowledge. You just don't want to bother with setting up a development environment and testing it and prefer someone else do it.

https://ubuntu.com/community/contribute/donation looks like some portion is going to a community, and ubuntu also have devs who contribute to gnome and I want to support them with my share.​
    Sure, if you "donate" to a commercial company, some portion may go that way. It is just a very indirect way to do this.

Comment

I do donate directly to GNOME and I am not thrilled that they avoid OpenCollective/Patreon and other popular platforms (even if they take away some % of the donation).

Comment

Originally posted by spyke View Post
        I do donate directly to GNOME and I am not thrilled that they avoid OpenCollective/Patreon and other popular platforms (even if they take away some % of the donation).
        OpenCollective is shutting down so it's probably better to not use it. Patreon takes anywhere from 5% up to even over 20% or so but it could maybe be offered as an option for people who don't mind. When I donate, I rather not lose so much into commercial middle men. There are other better choices IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

OpenCollective is shutting down so it's probably better to not use it. Patreon takes anywhere from 5% up to even over 20% or so but it could maybe be offered as an option for people who don't mind. When I donate, I rather not lose so much into commercial middle men. There are other better choices IMO.
          Well beside gnome I also appreciate PPAs (not snaps but OK) and other services and work Canonical does for Ubuntu desktop.

Comment

OC shutting down is recent news. My message was about years ago. I don't mind 3rd parties getting a couple of percents if I can manage all the donations in one place and it would be a single transaction instead of a dozen. For the organizations and people you donate to the point is in visibility and accessibility. Having you app on Flathub dramatically widens the audience in comparison with having a tarball on some website. Making a product is not enough, you have to "sell" it and make it recognizable. As it were with moving to GitLab when they started getting tons more comments in merge requests (that was even mentioned in a conference talk). Same with donations. You may hide the donation page for free or make it well know for a share.

Comment

Wow great, now they finally can focus on fixing of reporting Gnome version in setting app! The year of Linux desktop is coming!

Comment

It's just weird that they needed 3 years for such feature.
                Why is it weird? If you don't know if it's out of the ordinary for something like this to take three years to merge then what are you basing that on?

Comment

Can someone explain if 3 years for this PR was justified timeframe? Although I use ubuntu, gnome, for me as for a user it looked like a shit show, or it wasn't and it required a lot back and forth to verify if everything is in compliance with wayland, compositor, gnome senior devs, etc?
                  Gnome is backed by a redhat, and I supposed they would be interested in such feature and would push it.

Well, just curious.
                  In my experience, often it's relatively easy to get something 90% working, and then it takes a bunch of effort to move that needle up to the 100% mark.

Some platforms will tend to try and get that partial solution out first, and then work on improving it over time. Users tend to like this more since they can at least see the progress being made over time, but it might frustrate some who are dealing with bugs. It can also make it harder on the devs who have to support hacked together implementations in the meantime while also working towards true fixes.

Gnome tends to hold back their implementation until it's actually done.

The good news is with linux you have a choice and can use whatever desktop you feel aligns with your needs.

Comment

Open Collective Foundation is shutting down, not Open Collective.

Originally posted by LWN
                    Note that the Open Collective Foundation is distinct from Open Source Collective, which has hastened to point out that it remains in operation as before, and both are distinct from the Open Collective platform.​

Comment

Well beside gnome I also appreciate PPAs (not snaps but OK) and other services and work Canonical does for Ubuntu desktop.
                      Certainly that's your choice but if you want to speed up GNOME development, GNOME foundation is the most effective place to contribute. That's all

Comment

Working...
                      X