GNOME Prompt Becomes Ptyxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

...or, if it has to be a hard-to-google reuse of a common word, how about Germinate?
    Germinal

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

G-Spot.

/S
      Too much effort to find it and never get any fscking done!
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by devling View Post

I would imagine it sounds exactly how someone from New Zealand would pronounce Texas
        Hah, difinitely this!

Bring eet the chilly bin and weel eet sum pineapple chunks, eh bru! Damnit, now I want a Moro.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          That name has as much to do with terminals as the name Theseus' Ship has to do with window management.
          I bet the name was chosen because it is an actual word that starts with pty, so it does have something to do with terminals.

Comment

Except that these Gnome guys always insist it has to be pronounced guh-nome... So guh-erminal, or guh-onsole... ???

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Except that these Gnome guys always insist it has to be pronounced guh-nome... So guh-erminal, or guh-onsole... ???
              I swear some people (not sure if they were just being cheeky) used to say gee-gnome. Probably just as yet another alternative to keep the argy-bargy flowing.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

That is beyond ridiculous, this name means nothing,
                Sure this name has a meaning. Did you miss your biology class? The name doesn't relate to the function of the application, true. But it looks like a pseudo terminal.
                Last edited by oleid; 03 March 2024, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Sure this name has a meaning. Did you miss your biology class? The name doesn't relate to the function of the application, true. But it looks like a pseudo terminal.
                  I feel like it's more a philosophical talking point as a name.

That also has the aforementioned pty pre-pended was the motivator, and then came the 'really cool part to make people think'.

My incense.

*Edit; leaf and bud are common marijuana 'things', so ol boy might enjoy a puff.
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    I guess the 'Gnome guys' were fans of Flanders and Swann.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

I guess the 'Gnome guys' were fans of Flanders and Swann.
                      Apparently the "G" in "Gnu" exists because the animal's name in a local native language is "!nu". (With "!" being one of those click consonants that are pretty much unique to that language family.)

Comment

Working...
                      X