Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Prompt Becomes Ptyxis

Phoronix: GNOME Prompt Becomes Ptyxis

The GNOME Prompt terminal emulator in-development by Christian Hergert with a focus on GPU-acceleration and being a very speedy and beautiful terminal option has been renamed to Ptyxis...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly kinda preferred the old name. "Prompt" was simple to say and talk about, "ptyxis" really isn't.

Comment

How do you even pronounce that? Pee-tee-why-access?

Comment

Originally posted by AKoskovich View Post
        Honestly kinda preferred the old name. "Prompt" was simple to say and talk about, "ptyxis" really isn't.
        Meanwhile, "prompt" is more difficult to search in Google unless enough qualifiers

Comment

Another options would have been Gprompt, Gterminal or Gonsole. A less boring and a killer one could have been G-Spot.

/S

Comment

"Hopefully this is one less thing preventing Linux distributions from shipping a GTK 4 based terminal emulator by default."​
            I can't say if the accessibility stuff will help, but the name for sure hurts. This has to be one of the worst names for an application yet. If you have to look up the phonetic spelling of a word to get a remotely close idea on how to pronounce it, it's not great. I don't like GTK in the first place but tolerate apps using it. I'm avoiding this one on merit of the name alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I can't say if the accessibility stuff will help, but the name for sure hurts. This has to be one of the worst names for an application yet. If you have to look up the phonetic spelling of a word to get a remotely close idea on how to pronounce it, it's not great. I don't like GTK in the first place but tolerate apps using it. I'm avoiding this one on merit of the name alone.
              Accessibility definitely helps and I wasn't convinced about the name change till I read this. You changed my mind. So thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FluxTape View Post
                I don't know, but I would pronounce it as peh-tick-sis.

Comment

Originally posted by FluxTape View Post

It's pronounced ˈtiksə̇s and means the disposition of a single leaf in the bud​. It's pronounced like a drunk non-American trying to say Texas.

Disposition is where something is placed. So the name of the terminal emulator means "where a leaf forms on the bud".

That name has as much to do with terminals as the name Theseus' Ship has to do with window management.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Another options would have been Gprompt, Gterminal or Gonsole. A less boring and a killer one could have been G-Spot.

/S
                    Gnominal

Comment

Working...
                    X