GNOME Prompt Becomes Ptyxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Okki View Post
    Is the name really important? This project now has a beautiful icon that will look great when pinned to the dock. And as Christian himself points out, the desktop spec has support for GenericName and Keywords allowing us to type whatever we like to find the application…

You can't be serious. The entire multi-million dollar dotcom squatting industry is built around the importance of names and this entire discussion is a signal that people think this is a important topic to discuss.

If you don't think it's important -- that's okay -- just don't tip-toe and say it instead of phrasing it as a question.

Here: "I don't think the name is of utmost importance"

--

Back to the article, If I didn't find astonishing I would find it amusing that that term "Prompt" could be trademarked. It's such a generic technical word in use for many decades. It would be like trademarking "Internet", "PC", or "Browser"

Obviously this is a sign that the systems are no longer functioning correctly. But undiluted insanity.

(Edit: to clarify below, in written form these names aren't so bad, but photentically and over the phone it's near impossible to communicate or how to spell)

Also what is with the Open Source desire to enshitify names? Wanna change the name -- please don't call it kbuttholewankenjerzermangimppinshoes​

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

You can't be serious. The entire multi-million dollar dotcom squatting industry is built around the importance of names and this entire discussion is a signal that people think this is a important topic to discuss.

If you don't think it's important -- that's okay -- just don't tip-toe and say it instead of phrasing it as a question.
      Except that free software isn't Big Tech. We don't need to "think marketing" every time (I prefer to think in terms of accessibility, and this is already the case, since we can find the application using a number of keywords (terminal, prompt, ptyxis, shell, command, commandline, cmd, cli...).

Whether an application is called Nautilus or Files, Epiphany or Web, Totem or Video, Ptyxis or Terminal... it's been done for years (including on other operating systems) and nobody cares.

What's more, the application is already starting to come pre-installed on certain distributions like Bazzite, and I wouldn't be surprised if one day it becomes GNOME's default terminal. So you won't even have to look for it.

I'm coming back to this icon thing, because if we take the example of VLC, downloaded several billion times, nobody knows VLC, but everyone knows the multimedia player that plays everything with a traffic cone icon 😸​

Comment

This is almost as silly as the time Firebird got rebranded to Firefox. It wasn't even because of Pontiac.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Generic names was only for core apps, and even there it has been found to be needed to have codenames to allow apps to be more freely moved to and from core.

Since gnome 45 we have a new Image Viewer in gnome, but the project/code name is different and that has allowed there to be no friction with those working on or prefering the older image viewer.

Keeping the project name gedit allowed letting it move out of core without much issues too and we have a new gnome text editor.

In the future if someone writes a better file manager, Nautilus can live outside core. (giving this as an example. I really like Nautilus and prefer it to other file managers I have used on Linux or Windows.)

Granted snapshot replacing cheese does not fit the pattern.

Saying that, I did like the simplicity of the names Christian Hergert (the developer of prompt/ptyxis) has used for his many projects. outside a couple they are all very descriptive.

While I dont really care about the name, I am slightly gutted at the more stylised icon. I really liked the icon for prompt.​
          If you want to update a core app, you create a new branch called next or 2.0, and modify the code then merge it into master...
          What is this f*ed up workflow to make new apps with random names and swap them without changing the alias to pretend it's an update ??
          Also, I run everything from a shell, so the real program names, I see them all day long, and I am not making 80 aliases to pretend everything is properly named and sorted to hide the mess behind.
          What I want and need is to type "gnome-" and press tab and get a complete, self-explanatory and clean list of the core tools to choose from.
          Anyway, cosmic is coming soon. This won't even matter to me anymore.
          Last edited by rmfx; 29 February 2024, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

Nope.

Melt (modern Greek) is https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%B...8E%CE%BD%CF%89 ( λιώνω )
            Liquefy (modern Greek) is υγροποιείται
            Someone smokes too much buds...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              It's pronounced ˈtiksə̇s and means the disposition of a single leaf in the bud​. It's pronounced like a drunk non-American trying to say Texas.
              I would imagine it sounds exactly how someone from New Zealand would pronounce Texas

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                Also, I run everything from a shell, so the real program names, I see them all day long, and I am not making 80 aliases to pretend everything is properly named and sorted to hide the mess behind.
                What I want and need is to type "gnome-" and press tab and get a complete, self-explanatory and clean list of the core tools to choose from.
                Anyway, cosmic is coming soon. This won't even matter to me anymore.
                You must be the only one to run all your graphical applications from a terminal all day long... You'll have to explain to me the point of using a desktop environment (especially GNOME) in this case 🤔

Do you also run your terminal from a terminal?​ 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  Latency for rendering characters after a keypress.
                  Do you really believe it takes a contemporary CPU more time to render typed characters than it takes to wait for the next frame to be sent to the monitor? Highly unlikely, even if a 120Hz display "only" takes ~8ms until the next frame is displayed.

Beyond that, rendering on the GPU is simply more efficient, as it's just faster and better at it, meaning it actually uses LESS power than rendering on the CPU.
                  Unless, of course, the GPU spends considerable power by "waking up" or "clocking up" upon every key pressed, while even the lowest powered CPU core (which registered the key press event, anyway) was "awake" for a moment, anyway, and took only microseconds to write a few bytes into a frame buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Latency for rendering characters after a keypress. Research shows that (at least some) humans can tell the difference in latency down to 2ms.
                    I call bullshit. Cite the research.

>inb4 it is actually a 2ms delta on some arbitrarily large number. Not the difference in latency from 2 to 4ms, or 2 to 3.

Comment

Grompt

Comment

Working...
                      X