Servo Improves Its Experimental Support For HTML Tables, More CSS Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Improves Its Experimental Support For HTML Tables, More CSS Features

Phoronix: Servo Improves Its Experimental Support For HTML Tables, More CSS Features

The Servo web engine project has put out a new blog post that outlines all of their accomplishments made during the course of February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see an RSS button. How am I supposed to see the new articles in it?

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
      Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see an RSS button. How am I supposed to see the new articles in it?

as from their blog page...

Comment

Finally tables, why did it take so long?
        How are web designers supposed to format and layout their websites without tables?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Finally tables, why did it take so long?
          How are web designers supposed to format and layout their websites without tables?
          I'm pretty sure after a nuclear holocaust only roaches and HTML table layouts will be left.

Comment

Tables in web have become a rarity (thanks god) but some generations have to go before we will be free of it.

A few years ago a friend of mine called me, his libreO would screw up a word document. I took a look at this professionally made cover letter/resume that he paid a good chunk of money for. It was all tables, changing anything (font type, adding a line, you name it) would totally screw the whole layout even under MS office (just a different printer was enough), I somewhat fixed it, made a PDF and told him to never ever go to that "professional company" again. It was really not cheap for 3 A4 pages in some "modern design" and probably looked nice on their machines.

Anyway, good to see constant progress in servo.

Comment

At least a couple sites I know of are now rendering correctly. I think the next major thing would be the various flex stuff. if you want to see the "real" development state of servo you can run the below command, you can find more pref options here https://github.com/servo/servo/blob/...refs.json#L104 but most of them arent super useful for dinking around with I find

./servo/servo --pref layout.tables.enabled --pref layout.flexbox.enabled --pref layout.columns.enabled WEBSITE HERE

Comment

I wish the <table> specification was updated to be useful as like, actual tables. Let you auto-sort data by column, etc. As it is, it's purely layout focused and thus useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  Tables in web have become a rarity (thanks god) but some generations have to go before we will be free of it.

A few years ago a friend of mine called me, his libreO would screw up a word document. I took a look at this professionally made cover letter/resume that he paid a good chunk of money for. It was all tables, changing anything (font type, adding a line, you name it) would totally screw the whole layout even under MS office (just a different printer was enough), I somewhat fixed it, made a PDF and told him to never ever go to that "professional company" again. It was really not cheap for 3 A4 pages in some "modern design" and probably looked nice on their machines.

Anyway, good to see constant progress in servo.
                  Try looking at the body of an Outlook email

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    I wish the <table> specification was updated to be useful as like, actual tables. Let you auto-sort data by column, etc. As it is, it's purely layout focused and thus useless.
                    <table> is supposed to do just that: present. Logic belongs in a controller, not html. Sorting data may seem like a trivial task. Until you account for various encodings. Present at the same time in the same column.

Comment

Working...
                    X