No announcement yet.

KDE MegaRelease 6 Debuts For Plasma 6.0, KF6 & Gear 24.02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside of the Neon-specific d-bus oopsie my first Plasma 6 experience seems off to a strong start.

For various stupid reasons I've been stuck on Intel Arc graphics and it rendered my Plasma 5 desktop unusable. Because of Arc trying being aggressive with its power management (and, probably, my old crusty installation being old and crusty) it lead to my desktop and mouse cursor turning into a stuttering mess. With Plasma 6 and the painting updates along with the fresh installation it's no longer an issue, so I have a usable computer for the first time in nearly a year.

Need to do more testing, I haven't tried pushing the system yet, but if my computer is truly usable again maybe I can get back to work on finishing some new icons. I feel like a butt for neglecting that.

Comment

I've got the cause of the extreme slowness of the Wayland session: llvmpipe. Nvidia driver are not implemented in Wayland session for unknown reasons.

Online, different workarounds are applied to fix this issue but I don't understand if they are related to my specific case.
      Last edited by MorrisS.; 29 February 2024, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

Your inability to manage aspects of your system that have nothing to do with KDE Plasma 5 has… what… to do exactly with avoiding Plasma 6?
        As i have stated before I am a certified Unix Sys Admin and I have a degree in Cyber Security, i know very well how to manage a *nix based system and have been doing it for decades.

The point is that KDE/Plsama seems to have issues that are not fixed at the system level, they are fixed at the code level and frankly i have no confidence that Plasma 6 will not have bugs that will lead to significant complaints in these forums.

The problem is that all Linux DEs are old code bases that go back decades and frankly there needs to be a fresh start.

This is one of the reasons i am hopeful that maybe COSMIC will be good since there won't be any legacy code weighing it down.

Comment

Solved llvmpipe... the slowness persists, but I think that it is caused by audio driver conflicts. Which audio stack runs in Wayland session? pipewire or alsa?

Comment

It's sad that in 2024 there are few distributions that allow you to undo an update, big updates can always bring problems, having the ability to rollback should be the norm. I'm surprised that KDE Neon doesn't integrate this option, I'd like to know what @nate thinks. This is the main reason that makes me prefer Tumbleweed to other distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post

Your inability to manage aspects of your system that have nothing to do with KDE Plasma 5 has… what… to do exactly with avoiding Plasma 6?
              sophisticles says that he has "a degree in Cyber Security" but spreads disastrous and dangerous ideas about security, like leaving devices unprotected:
              - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...53#post1434353
              - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...69#post1434669

​​

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post
                It's sad that in 2024 there are few distributions that allow you to undo an update, big updates can always bring problems, having the ability to rollback should be the norm. I'm surprised that KDE Neon doesn't integrate this option, I'd like to know what @nate thinks. This is the main reason that makes me prefer Tumbleweed to other distributions.
                Summon him properly! ngraham

You all people are missing the most important feature: Party!

Originally posted by David Edmundson
                There are release parties around the world, the UK has a party in Cambridge.

Action plan is to go to The Haymakers, High Street, Cambridge and get pizza, drinks and more pizza. at 19:00 Thursday the 29th Feb.

Look for the guy in the blue KDE T-shirt.

Sign up at https://community.kde.org/Promo/Events/Parties/KDE_6th_Megarelease#Cambridge​
                There are many of them. Many of those places are known for their good beers and food! Michael

Comment

KDE Neon is missing a lot of things I'd like, unfortunately. I agree that this kind of thing is important and I expect to see it in a KDE-provided OS at some point in the future.

Comment

It would be a good idea to apply. However, also the possibility to get the Plasma 5 operating system alongside the latest one would be a good option.

Comment

Can't you just install previous packages on most distributions?

Comment

Working...
                      X