Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by misp View Post

This sounds great!

Any chance that the same will be an option to include only vulkan? That is - once Vulkan is an option. Then the system would use only modern stack: Wayland and vulkan. The thing going to be used for the next 20y.
    I can certainly aim for that. The goal is to have something truly modular for compositor authors to decide on their own what they need. More about that soon.

Originally posted by misp View Post
    Maybe going into the details which will be revealed soon - but here is another question: is there going to be a mode like gdm? Have to say, current state with sddm is rather bad - I think my monitor changes mode ~5 times during boot.
    I have thought about this in the past. The modular nature just mentioned should allow to build something like that. Like a minimal kiosk mode. But there would need to be a person with this goal to create a proof of concept with it.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
      If a lot of people were contributing, you would have more than a few part time people working on major desktop projects. Evidently, there isn't enough people doing that. End result is what we are seeing, Linux on the desktop taking ages to make any progress and everyone is shocked when they find out how few resources go into anything they use daily.
      Well, there's a lot of projects. I'd say a lot of people are contributing but there are so many projects that some will get more attention than others. Maybe there should be a prioritization effort. For example, anyone contributing small amounts to the Mozilla Foundation at this point would basically just be throwing their money into the CEO's bank account, as Google already pays more than enough for all the engineering. That money would be better sent to KDE or Mate or XFCE or something.

Comment

In response to this, the original KWin should rename itself to Sisyphean Task

Comment

<deleted>
          Last edited by WonkoTheSaneUK; 28 February 2024, 05:32 AM. Reason: Irrelevant

Comment

If you have resort to this kind of language to make your point, you lack one and you are also missing what the broader picture. If I know all those requirements including C, Rust, Glib and all the GNOME libraries, I can find remote jobs that pay better from anywhere else in the world. Even worker owned coops like Igalia pays better than this. This salary is just not competitive in the market. It has nothing to do with my personal cost of living silly.
            Then you are not needed there. Stop talking down a perfectly viable and even lucrative offer because for you it would not be enough based on where you live.

If you can work remotely from your home instead of wasting your energy in an office, that is immediately worth 10k in salary, in my book, maybe not for you.
            Last edited by varikonniemi; 28 February 2024, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              Of course a corporation such as KDE will have more contributor and even hired workforce.
              Hired workforce? Every time KDE and work are mentioned, everyone keeps calling out KDE for not having paid employees/hired workforce.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

Then you are not needed there.
                If you are so upset about someone having a different opinion, then maybe this forum is not for you bud.

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                Stop talking down a perfectly viable and even lucrative offer because for you it would not be enough based on where you live.
                You aren't listening. It isn't based on where I live. I just happen to know from personal experience that developers can earn more on remote jobs working on open source software and I want them to earn more that what is listed for the qualifications that they require and I even cited a co-op company in Spain willing to do that. You apparently don't want that. That's on you.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I was offered in the low 40k in France decades ago out of school, I don't think 50k today is that great.
                  In Spain though that is not bad still, but why not go for something like Igalia then? I'm sure they'd pay quite more and you could still work on FOSS projects.
                  $50K/year is based on the job that GNOME is offering for a Glib developer with their 1M grant funds.
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 28 February 2024, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
                    My PC doesnt support modern Vulkan, it only supports modern OpenGL, a lot of older programs still support or require OpenGL as well, there no reason to get rid of it or drop support for it, its not like Xorg and opengl isnt "legacy cruft".
                    You must be running some venerable hardware if it doesn't sport a Vulkan driver. Would love to know what it is.

I don't think Mesa3D will be dropped in our lifetime. What else is going to give Linux OpenGL capabilities? OpenGL applications aren't going anywhere in the foreseeable future either.

It doesn't make any sense to make Mesa's back-end Vulkan only. Certainly not for hardware that doesn't have a Vulkan driver. Although, IIUC, Mesa is wiring up support for Zink, so that Vulkan capable hardware can enjoy OpenGL through one vendor agnostic codepath.​

Comment

If you are so upset about someone having a different opinion, then maybe this forum is not for you bud.

You aren't listening. It isn't based on where I live. I just happen to know from personal experience that developers can earn more on remote jobs working on open source software and I want them to earn more that what is listed for the qualifications that they require and I even cited a co-op company in Spain willing to do that. You apparently don't want that. That's on you.
                      I never said that one could not earn more somewhere, just argued against your attitude of talking this down because it's not the highest available. It's extremely good pay for a remote job in most of the world. The kind of pay where you can feed your family and children, plus your parents and grandparents. If you only knew how to code.
                      Last edited by varikonniemi; 28 February 2024, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X