Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWinFT Compositor Now Known As Theseus' Ship

Phoronix: KWinFT Compositor Now Known As Theseus' Ship

Ahead of this week's big KDE Plasma 6.0 release, the KWinFT project forked from the KDE KWin compositor code is re-branding as Theseus' Ship...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Genuinely interesting! I wish the devs good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
      Genuinely interesting! I wish the devs good luck!
      Dev

The entire project started because Roman wouldn't work within KDE. He wanted to move fast with large rewrites while KDE wanted more incremental improvements.

Ironically because its just him, KDE has slowly incremented to its better place and his faster approach has taken far longer.

Comment

Originally posted by stevecrox View Post
        [...]
        Ironically because its just him, KDE has slowly incremented to its better place and his faster approach has taken far longer.
        Depends on what the goals of the project are. I don't think what I'm aiming for with the WinFT projects would have been possible within KDE.

But you're right that KWin has matured a lot through incremental improvements. So kudos to the team.

Comment

Originally posted by stevecrox View Post
          The entire project started because Roman wouldn't work within KDE. He wanted to move fast with large rewrites while KDE wanted more incremental improvements.

Of course a corporation such as KDE will have more contributor and even hired workforce. Therefore even the slower method becomes faster when executed with more manpower.

However, I do remember the publicity attracted by this debacle incread the openness and commuticaveness of the KDE folks, and they started blogging a bit more about their planned improvements into e.g. the windowing system in the areas of general performance as well as multi-display support and improved Wayland support and optimization.

Comment

I see many posts defending kwin over this fork, yet no-one has explained why this "one man" fork has managed to include much more features.

Comment

I really hope Roman did find money for his kwin fork and we'll see some progress this year.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                I see many posts defending kwin over this fork, yet no-one has explained why this "one man" fork has managed to include much more features.
                What does the project have that you can't now find in Kwin?

I remember it did add something initially but I am pretty sure KWin brought in a similar feature in 5.24. i just can't remember what it was

Comment

I don't like the fork, I would have preferred to keep everyone on board. Kudos to the name, one of top 10 most thoughtful open source project names!

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    That is the main critique that Roman / Theseus Ship values new features over compatibility and a smoother transition. No wonder he can push features faster.

Comment

Working...
                    X