WebKitGTK Moving To Skia For 2D Rendering To Yield Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebKitGTK Moving To Skia For 2D Rendering To Yield Better Performance

Phoronix: WebKitGTK Moving To Skia For 2D Rendering To Yield Better Performance

WebKitGTK as the port of the WebKit rendering engine used by GNOME Web (Epipahny) and other software for displaying web content is transitioning to using Skia for its 2D rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well of course it's faster since Cairo lost it's accelerated backends!

Comment

anyone uses gnome web?

Comment

That are good news for apps on Linux using system WebView for UIs instead of bloated Electron.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
          AFAIK they mostly didnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
            AFAIK they mostly didnt work.
            Exactly, Cairo`s accelerated backends never worked really well - for many workloads they were actually slower than software-rendering, not to mention correctness bugs.
            It seems everybody who can is running (or ran long ago) away from Cairo - for good reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              anyone uses gnome web?
              Even GNOME has it's own Internet Explorer

Comment

I don't get it why GNOME keeps pushing it's users just towards WebKit. It sucks in 2024. Why not use Blink (or even Gecko) instead (or simultaneously)?
                I understand the ambition behind their browser... but not with that obsolete and slow engine.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                  I don't get it why GNOME keeps pushing it's users just towards WebKit. It sucks in 2024. Why not use Blink (or even Gecko) instead (or simultaneously)?
                  I understand the ambition behind their browser... but not with that obsolete and slow engine.
                  This "obsolete" engine, as you put it, powers the browser with the second-highest market share worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by pbryan View Post

This "obsolete" engine, as you put it, powers the browser with the second-highest market share worldwide.
                    Because of anti-competitive practices.

Comment

Working...
                    X