No announcement yet.

More Fixes Land Ahead Of KDE Plasma 6.0 Coming In Two Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phew. I'll be cautious and wait until the fallout has settled.
    I do like KDE a lot, but they have a tendency to need several point releases until things are smooth. Besides, for me, pipewire is a mess. On several systems a lot of applications mess up major style and I end up having no sound at all at times. Whatever is wrong there. I know it _should_ be the drop-in thing, that catches all sorts of sound and deals with it, however, in reality I got issues on nearly all my machines. (besides one, that runs 100% pulseaudio and 0% pipewire) *shrugs* No clue what's causing the mess.

And then, in the changelog, one can spot an error that was causing files to be openend with the wrong program, so the associations were wrong. Those are some basics. I wonder why something like this a) gets fixed that late before release and b) how something like this could even break in the first place. Someone must have changed something related to that part, but not even remotely tested the compiled code?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      And then, in the changelog, one can spot an error that was causing files to be openend with the wrong program, so the associations were wrong. Those are some basics. I wonder why something like this a) gets fixed that late before release and b) how something like this could even break in the first place. Someone must have changed something related to that part, but not even remotely tested the compiled code?
      It wasn't a Plasma 6 regression, but rather a design issue that was present for years--decades, even. In a nutshell, KDE had a special KDE-only method of specifying default file associations that didn't conform to the XDG spec for this. Everything worked out fine as long as one of two things happened:
      1. Your distro shipped a KDE-specific InitialPreference file
      2. You changed any of the system-provided file associations, which would have the effect of automatically generating an appropriate InitialPreference file

If neither of those things happened, then some files would get opened in the wrong apps because the KDE-specific InitialPreference file didn't exist. Thus, you would see it more often in distros that don't do a good job of integrating KDE software, or when KDE apps were installed in non-KDE-focused distros.

Comment

I tried Plasma 6.0 in VM, and I like it. There is no significant difference from 5.27, which is good Also, I haven't noticed any issues, though I didn't test/use it so much. Too bad Kubuntu 24.04 is staying with 5.27, but I expect v6 will be added later.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
          I tried Plasma 6.0 in VM, and I like it. There is no significant difference from 5.27, which is good Also, I haven't noticed any issues, though I didn't test/use it so much. Too bad Kubuntu 24.04 is staying with 5.27, but I expect v6 will be added later.
          Even nowadays, you can use kdesrc-build to compile latest Qt 6 and Plasma 6 in Kubuntu 23.10.

Comment

KWin will now support direct scan-out when running in a nested compositor configuration
            Nice. I spend most of my computing time in nested KDE in Gamescope on my Steam Deck.

Comment

Working...
            X