Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Fixes Land Ahead Of KDE Plasma 6.0 Coming In Two Weeks

Phoronix: More Fixes Land Ahead Of KDE Plasma 6.0 Coming In Two Weeks

There is just two weeks to go until the much-anticipated KDE 6 Mega-Release that includes KDE Plasma 6.0, KDE Frameworks 6, and the updated KDE Gear apps. KDE developers continue fixing bugs as well as already working on KDE Plasma 6.1 features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's amazing how stable this version is even before release. And actually the version that can introduce wayland to the unwashed masses, who need for it to be objectively better before adopting it.

Comment

I am looking forward to testing KDE 6 + Wayland once its released. I hope blurry scaled apps are gone in this version.

Comment

Hopefully after they polish the HDR support, they will start having a look at Vulkan suport too!

Comment

With the exception of 2 blocker level issues I am dealing with, I'd say it is ready. The inability to login 50+% of the time when waking from sleep and the 98% of the time not able to access the application menu/launcher would need to be fixed for me to say it is ready. Both are reported. Overall it have been very stable since beta 1. Beta 2 was unusable on arch, but everything else have been stable on wayland even on my NVidia gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
            With the exception of 2 blocker level issues I am dealing with, I'd say it is ready. The inability to login 50+% of the time when waking from sleep and the 98% of the time not able to access the application menu/launcher would need to be fixed for me to say it is ready. Both are reported. Overall it have been very stable since beta 1. Beta 2 was unusable on arch, but everything else have been stable on wayland even on my NVidia gpu.
            Both should be fixed for the final 6.0 release. They are NVIDIA driver bugs that we've worked around.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Both should be fixed for the final 6.0 release. They are NVIDIA driver bugs that we've worked around.
              I have that first issue (inability to log in 50% of the time when waking from sleep) on Plasma 5 and I have AMD-only hardware. So even though you're *the* Nate Graham, I do believe you are wrong that this is solely a Plasma 6 NVIDIA bug.

Comment

Unfortunately there are multiple ways that the screenlocker can fail after waking from sleep. The mentioned NVIDIA issue is only one; I was making the assumption that we were talking about that one due to realizing that the reporter had an NVIDIA GPU after they mentioned a different known NVIDIA-only issue.

Comment

oh man, i'm so desperately looking forward to the release and hope so much that my nvidia will finally run flawlessly under wayland.
                  I am really hoping the icon-only task manager doesn't crash anymore, that's been the only real show stopper for me so far.
                  Would be nicte to have a working wake up from suspend/hibernate, no more graphics glitches around the cursor,
                  no more flickering in games under wine....
                  But I'm afraid that my expectations are so high by now, that it can only be a disappointment.

And a working 3d with spice in kvm/qemu/virt-manager would be a dream, but that's another story... (and i think not KDEs fault)

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
                    Unfortunately there are multiple ways that the screenlocker can fail after waking from sleep. The mentioned NVIDIA issue is only one; I was making the assumption that we were talking about that one due to realizing that the reporter had an NVIDIA GPU after they mentioned a different known NVIDIA-only issue.
                    Fwiw, Nvidia user here, no problem accessing the menu/launcher... But I guess this one can be specific to a particular model or generation.

All things considered, Wayland on Nvidia is working better than I expected. What I did expect is apps not working properly on Wayland. Firefox has this thing where enabling fractional scaling clips pop-up menus and makes them show up at the wrong location (tbh, the option is off by default and Firefox works fine without it. still begs the question why it's there in the first place). Chromium is worse. It takes seconds to register input, unless I open a second window and put it on top of everything else on my second monitor.

Comment

Working...
                    X