Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GNOME Mutter Code Prepares Fractional Scaling For XWayland

Phoronix: New GNOME Mutter Code Prepares Fractional Scaling For XWayland

A merge request was opened this week for plumbing fractional scaling support for XWayland clients running on the GNOME Mutter compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... We'll see it in a couple of years then.

Comment

Originally posted by fluke View Post
      Probably more.

Comment

probably if vrr is any indication.

Comment

Gnome supporting something people as for!? heresy!

Comment

About time, so maybe Steam will understand the correct resolution of my 4k 32" monitor, I have to disable fractional scaling every time I want to play.

Comment

Reminds me of a sign that we used to see in some stores when I was young - "If we don't have it, then you probably didn't really need it anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Reminds me of a sign that we used to see in some stores when I was young - "If we don't have it, then you probably didn't really need it anyway."
                That is probably solved by a different merge request that is already merged for gnome 46: https://mastodon.social/@[email protected]
                Last edited by You-; 16 February 2024, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

When I decided to replace XFCE, I gave gnome a short try - and switched to KDE (for different reasons but one of them was the lack of fractional scaling in gnome).
                  Don't let some "friendly dictators" mess with you by telling what you need and what you dont.​

In the end they denied for years the need for fractional scaling - and made users suffer.
                  I wonder what all the fight against it was good for after all.

Comment

The merge request isn't done yet, it is a draft. And once it's finished, it takes RedHat employees up to 18 years to accept it.

It's better to use a Desktop Environment that already has this, like KDE, rather than waiting for the dead project that is GNOME.

Comment

Working...
                    X