PipeWire To Work On Vulkan Converters & Processing Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post

While I agree that pavucontrol is quite useful for common tasks, a pulseaudio interface can only view and access a subset of pipewires capabilities.
    What capabilities are you specifically missing?

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
      All we need is PW to no get bloated over time trying to do it all too much.
      Softwares should also move to a native pipewire output instead of relying on jack and pulseaudio emulation from now on.
      Question related to this. I am aware that PipeWire emulates PulseAudio and Jack, but also has it's own native protocol. What I read was that not many users of the native protocol yet given so much software already written to use PulseAudio and Jack, but hope was that would change in time. Question is, does anyone know the latency performance of the native PipeWire protocol vs. Jack protocol? Just curious how well the native protocol would fit for pro-audio usage cases. I assume if PipeWire can emulate Jack with good enough equivalent latencies, that it's native protocol could do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        I hope that when pipewire eventually gets camera controlls it isn't limited to the portals API, Support is good, but forcing it is bad IMO.
        I dont think forcing portals is a bad thing. Portals are already a standard feature on all Linux desktops and supported out of the box.

Portals is part of the modern linux API for apps and we should be trying to push portals whenever we can to increase security of the linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

The problem I have with DLNA specifically, is it's security issues it provides (it's good that Pipewire will allow it to happen as a choice). I suppose all those other stuff will be added in due time. I believe the idea is that "Smart TVs" will use Pipewire (when features are complete), which give credence to add all of those and maybe a platform agnostic solution. Again big assumptions here !
          I consider that interoperability with current standards are a must, despite they might not be so "clean". Currently, only Gnome supports it in a transparent way.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

What capabilities are you specifically missing?
            Not OP, but I'm missing setting an application to play on multiple sinks. I know this can be done in helvum or pw-something-graph, but it's a hassle connecting and disconnecting individual (L/R/...) streams, especially with that kind of interface. (Also please don't mention loopback Interfaces)

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Question related to this. I am aware that PipeWire emulates PulseAudio and Jack, but also has it's own native protocol. What I read was that not many users of the native protocol yet given so much software already written to use PulseAudio and Jack, but hope was that would change in time. Question is, does anyone know the latency performance of the native PipeWire protocol vs. Jack protocol? Just curious how well the native protocol would fit for pro-audio usage cases. I assume if PipeWire can emulate Jack with good enough equivalent latencies, that it's native protocol could do the same.
              Check the presentation (or wait for the video to be uploaded), latency is now on par with JACK.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

Not OP, but I'm missing setting an application to play on multiple sinks. I know this can be done in helvum or pw-something-graph, but it's a hassle connecting and disconnecting individual (L/R/...) streams, especially with that kind of interface. (Also please don't mention loopback Interfaces)
                This isn't a PipeWire specific feature. Is it? It just seems like you want a functionality added to a GUI that PulseAudio itself natively supports. I am more interested in hearing about PipeWire specific features.

Comment

This isn't a PipeWire specific feature. Is it? It just seems like you want a functionality added to a GUI that PulseAudio itself natively supports. I am more interested in hearing about PipeWire specific features.
                  It sure seems to be. The way you'd do it with pulse audio is to create a dummy sink + two loopback sink-inputs that are basically a monitor of the sink. Then you set the sink inputs to play on different outputs, while making applications play on the dummy sink. It's pretty cumbersome.
                  pipewire can do that natively, without all that weirdness.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

It sure seems to be. The way you'd do it with pulse audio is to create a dummy sink + two loopback sink-inputs that are basically a monitor of the sink. Then you set the sink inputs to play on different outputs, while making applications play on the dummy sink. It's pretty cumbersome.
                    pipewire can do that natively, without all that weirdness.
                    Yeah I understand it is cumbersome but a graphical interface could certainly automate that since thats the context. If there is a net new feature that you won't be able to get at all via PulseAudio and it is useful for desktop users, I would like to hear more about that.

Comment

Yeah I understand it is cumbersome but a graphical interface could certainly automate that since thats the context. If there is a net new feature that you won't be able to get at all via PulseAudio and it is useful for desktop users, I would like to hear more about that.
                      I'm not sure what your goal is here, I've just answered your original question. Yes this is a feature that pulse does not have, what I was talking about is a clunky workaround with number of dumb edge cases and usability issues.

And yes, it would be useful for many people. Quickly share a sound clip in discord without needing to share the screen, or having a player play the same song on multiple independent speakers around the room/multiple rooms.

Comment

Working...
                      X