Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire To Work On Vulkan Converters & Processing Filters

Phoronix: PipeWire To Work On Vulkan Converters & Processing Filters

With PipeWire 1.0 having been released toward the end of last year and is now commonly used by Linux distributions out-of-the-box for managing audio/video streams, you may be wondering about the future plans for this open-source software from Red Hat. Well, Wim Taymans was at FOSDEM this weekend in Brussels and shared some of the plans ahead for PipeWire...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Btw, is there a pipewire-native replacement for pavucontrol (which interacts via pulseaudio)?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
      Btw, is there a pipewire-native replacement for pavucontrol (which interacts via pulseaudio)?
      You really don't need one. Pavucontrol works fine with PipeWire. Red Hat upstream developers don't appear to be pushing for a native protocol and all the new work seem focused on the video side.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

You really don't need one. Pavucontrol works fine with PipeWire. Red Hat upstream developers don't appear to be pushing for a native protocol and all the new work seem focused on the video side.
        While I agree that pavucontrol is quite useful for common tasks, a pulseaudio interface can only view and access a subset of pipewires capabilities.

Comment

I hope that when pipewire eventually gets camera controlls it isn't limited to the portals API, Support is good, but forcing it is bad IMO.

Comment

DLNA?

What about stuff such as Miracast, Chromecast, WiDi, AirPlay, DIAL, etc? I know there's Gnome code for some of that, but a more platform agnostic solution would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post

While I agree that pavucontrol is quite useful for common tasks, a pulseaudio interface can only view and access a subset of pipewires capabilities.
              I agree! I would love a pavucontrol for pipewire merged with easyeffects too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                DLNA?
                What about stuff such as Miracast, Chromecast, WiDi, AirPlay, DIAL, etc? I know there's Gnome code for some of that, but a more platform agnostic solution would be better.
                The problem I have with DLNA specifically, is it's security issues it provides (it's good that Pipewire will allow it to happen as a choice). I suppose all those other stuff will be added in due time. I believe the idea is that "Smart TVs" will use Pipewire (when features are complete), which give credence to add all of those and maybe a platform agnostic solution. Again big assumptions here !

Comment

All we need is PW to no get bloated over time trying to do it all too much.
                  Softwares should also move to a native pipewire output instead of relying on jack and pulseaudio emulation from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    DLNA?

Aren't there multiple projects that implement those? Won't they work as Pipewire sinks?

Comment

Working...
                    X