KDE Megarelease 6 RC2 Available For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I don't think you can. It depends on a ton of stuff like frameworks and etc.
    It is (mostly) possible to run a Plasma 6 session entirely from one's home directory, that's how it works if you build from source via kdesrc-build, the Plasma and Frameworks stuff (plus some other deps like the appstream and Wayland libraries) just live in ~/kde/usr. Some modifications still need to be made in system directories (see here for what's needed: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...ref_type=heads). If there's a Plasma 5 session already installed via the distro repos then some extra changes might be needed to make sure that the new Plasma 6 stuff is loaded instead of the Plasma 5 versions, in particular for DBus services.

At least, that's true if Qt 6.6 is already in the distro repos, I'm not sure how much extra trouble it would be for distros that either have old Qt6 or don't have Qt6 at all.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      So, I forgot what the benefits of moving to QT 6.0 were. Or is it simply about keeping with the times/version?
      They're rewriting whole Plasma so obviously it makes sense to upgrade the underlying platform at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        They're rewriting whole Plasma so obviously it makes sense to upgrade the underlying platform at the same time.
        No they are not. The point of this major version bump is to upgrade everything to the latest major version of Qt, but this time the breaking changes in Qt are manageable. None of the apps are getting a rewrite because it would just be unnecessary.

Comment

Two sides to two differant stones 😁

It's an unimportant question anyway, but thought I'd throw it out there as I have truly forgotten what was going on.

And I'm boggled as to why Gears needs three 'download' managers, when one realistically (that manages downloads AND torrents) should suffice? This seems a recurring thing. Maybe the arch kde-app-meta needs a rejigger.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

It is (mostly) possible to run a Plasma 6 session entirely from one's home directory, that's how it works if you build from source via kdesrc-build, the Plasma and Frameworks stuff (plus some other deps like the appstream and Wayland libraries) just live in ~/kde/usr. Some modifications still need to be made in system directories (see here for what's needed: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...ref_type=heads). If there's a Plasma 5 session already installed via the distro repos then some extra changes might be needed to make sure that the new Plasma 6 stuff is loaded instead of the Plasma 5 versions, in particular for DBus services.

At least, that's true if Qt 6.6 is already in the distro repos, I'm not sure how much extra trouble it would be for distros that either have old Qt6 or don't have Qt6 at all.
            Ubuntu 23.10 has QT 6.4.2, so I had to build QT 6.6 as well. All dependencies are built in ~/kde. I need to verify running that build on another computer and find what system packages additionally needed if any.
            ​​​​.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              Still wish I could get it work on Tumbleweed, though…
              Is there a way to "pin" a btrfs snapshot? I'd like to keep the last pre-Plasma6 snapshot around for a while, just in case...

edit: Got the answer from Bing already.

Yes, it is possible to keep a specific btrfs snapshot forever in OpenSUSE. You can use the snapper command to create a new snapshot and then mark it as protected. This will prevent the snapshot from being deleted automatically by the system. Here are the steps to create a new snapshot and mark it as protected:
              1. Open a terminal window.
              2. Run the following command to create a new snapshot: sudo snapper create --description "My Protected Snapshot".
              3. Run the following command to list all the snapshots: sudo snapper list.
              4. Note the ID of the snapshot you just created.
              5. Run the following command to mark the snapshot as protected: sudo snapper protect <ID>.

After following these steps, the snapshot will be marked as protected and will not be deleted automatically by the system. You can also remove the protection by running the following command: sudo snapper unprotect <ID>
              ​
              Last edited by Estranged1906; 01 February 2024, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Would be nice if KDE project provided a repo for Debian distros (i.e. unstable and testing) for easier installation. It's a huge hassle to test it otherwise.
                I agree!

Comment

Isn't that Debians responsibility?
                  Hi

Comment

Working...
                  X