Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Wayland Driver Prepares Display Mode Change Emulation

Phoronix: Wine Wayland Driver Prepares Display Mode Change Emulation

Now being past the Wine 9.0 code freeze and the bi-weekly development releases back underway with eyes now set on Wine 10.0 next year, the 12th part of the Wine Wayland driver has been published for review. This latest set of Wine Wayland work is on implementing display mode change emulation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

note: some compositors don't implement the last two features properly!
    Wayland is freaking awesome!

Comment

This is basically doing exactly what the fullscreen hack for X11 is (in Proton). It's called a hack for a reason.

Why is this acceptable upstream but not for X11?

Wayland is a fucking hack as you can see because it lacks features to be a proper driver. Just drop it. Sick of double standards.

Or accept the fucking fullscreen hack into upstream already. Either way works.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        This is basically doing exactly what the fullscreen hack for X11 is (in Proton). It's called a hack for a reason.

Wayland is a fucking hack as you can see because it lacks features to be a proper driver. Just drop it. Sick of double standards.

Watch out we got a badass over here

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

If you're gonna bait, at least try to think through it first. Wine has literally nothing to do with Wayland, and 3/4 of the things it does are hacks. This MR doesn't "upstream" anything to Wayland or X11. Also, you said "upstream" twice, referring to 2 different upstreams, and didn't specify what they were.

I can't tell if stupider people are moving over to Linux (a good thing, since it means it's becoming less techy) or if the general Linux population has just brain-rotted.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

If you're gonna bait, at least try to think through it first. Wine has literally nothing to do with Wayland, and 3/4 of the things it does are hacks. This MR doesn't "upstream" anything to Wayland or X11. Also, you said "upstream" twice, referring to 2 different upstreams, and didn't specify what they were.

I can't tell if stupider people are moving over to Linux (a good thing, since it means it's becoming less techy) or if the general Linux population has just brain-rotted.
            Religious fanaticism is not exclusively the purview of those who believe in a god.

Comment

Wow. I haven't seen this put into words before. I have wondered about this phenomenon, as well.

It might seem too convenient to claim that limited popularity is an advantage, but it is, in a way. Ofc, it's a complex system, balancing available resources for sustained development against the "averaging" effects of popularity.

I'll comfort myself with the thought that it's not just GNU/Linux as a project that exhibits these effects, but the dynamics of every dependent or associated project; ie, I can find something to be passionate about, should the OS in general get too big... lol at thinking that is the case on the desktop, or will ever be, but it happened that it "won" in every other area of computing.

Bringing it all back to the mostly-unrelated-to-tfa Wayland discussion (apologies), I'm really happy with the creative explosion in the compositor layer, where Wayland redefined the display stack. It's fun to discuss/fight over, but equally, if not more fun, to hack on the Linux desktop right now.

Comment

Stupid is a poor choice of words. People -everyone- wants their computer to work for them, not the other way around, which has been the case up until Windows 10 and the 2010s in Linux. I realize that the old guard, who have time and energy to spend just to get the system in a working order, is becoming smaller and smaller. I used to roll my own dists, but now that i have grown up, with wife and kids, house and work, I just go for something that (should) just work.
                The newer Linux users, who started computing in the 2010s just assume that everything should work out of the box, just like in Windows or a phone.
                Don't judge people based on your own experience. At least try to understand

Comment

This forum is the worst forum I've ever been on.
                  The article discussions are always filled with hateful zealots who resort to name-calling.
                  Horrible

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post
                    This forum is the worst forum I've ever been on.
                    The article discussions are always filled with hateful zealots who resort to name-calling.
                    Horrible
                    Clearly you haven't been on many forums. LOL. Still i agree that the anti-Wayland zealotry is ridiculous and trolly.

Comment

Working...
                    X