Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Budgie Desktop Hopes To Do A Wayland-Only Release This Year

Phoronix: The Budgie Desktop Hopes To Do A Wayland-Only Release This Year

The Budgie desktop that started off as the desktop project within the Solus Linux space has written a lengthy blog post outlining their highlights for 2023 as well as providing a glimpse ahead for 2024. The Budgie desktop is working eagerly on Wayland and XWayland support and hope to advance enough this year to deliver a Wayland-only release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to adore budgie, so im looking forwards to trying it, however realisitcally, at this rate I doubt im going to be leaving cosmic, im liking a lot of what they are doing

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      I used to adore budgie, so im looking forwards to trying it, however realisitcally, at this rate I doubt im going to be leaving cosmic, im liking a lot of what they are doing
      Same here, Cosmic is my interest of choice but Budgie also peaked my interest. If it's stable before Cosmic then I have leeway of checking Budgie out with Wayland (a bit later to let the developers to iron out the minor bugs).

Comment

Going from "no working Wayland support" to a "Wayland only release" in only a year is extremely ambitious. I wish them luck. I used to love Budgie back in the day, but I daily drive Wayland so it's currently not an option for me.

Plus, as mentioned above, I am also currently riding the Cosmic train and just waiting for that to release.

Comment

I just read the blog post, followed by the Budgie Wayland post from last summer linked in the article (thought initially I had seen before, but not!) Both really good reads. Now I need to dive deeper into the rabbit hole with a couple other pages linked

I like how they are playing with and iterating through various things and components with the later releases in the 10.x series, things that sounds like will get proven and fleshed out as they work towards the 11.x series. Lots of learning going on here it seems.

I too am looking forward to how Cosmic pans out. That said, the screenshots from the blog post link in Michael's article show what appears to my tastes some nice desktop ascetics, which matters to me. Happy to see what Budgie can do here as well.

Comment

Looking forward to Budgie updates. It is neat desktop UI/UX people coming from Windows.

Comment

Good for them and fuck Nvidia of course!

Comment

Very nice! I used to like using Budgie for a year or two but ultimately moved away from it for Wayland support. Excited to try it out, and as others have mentioned, excited to try Cosmic as well! I wonder if either will entice me to switch away from KDE.

Comment

I don't use all of the features they have updated and added, but Budgie has been and is a great experience. Their Wayland adoption accelerating will put them well within the window of when most users find it necessary, and probably before that point. Also the fact that they are excited about it is positive concerning the state of Wayland's development.

If the Budgie team thinks they can release a DE according to their standards in a year, then I won't be concerned that 'Wayland is fked', or at least no more than X or Windows Desktop.

Comment

I used to like Budgie until it kept getting broken in Arch and/or having too many GNOME dependencies. I can't imagine a Wayland-only transition will make it any better.

Comment

Working...
                    X