KDE Lands More Performance Improvements & Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 6.0 Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by keit99 View Post
    The missing projects on that list are either not in development anymore or have very few devs working on them (e.g. amarok)
    Also the qt5 transition was also in steps (kf5, plasma and core apps first then everything else in waves)
    Strawberry is a nice music player which is a fork of Clementine which is based on Amarok

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
      Amarok is still a thing?
      If someone is interested, an Amarok developer has a PPA of Amarok: https://launchpad.net/~pgomes/+archive/ubuntu/amarok
      and also another developer: https://launchpad.net/~joe-yasi/+arc...tu/amarok-kde5

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Same here. Plus, memory use, responsiveness are all the same with 5.27, even the GUI is so similar. I hope Kubuntu 24.04 would change the decision to include Plasma 6.0 instead of 5.27.
        Nowadays you can also use kdesrc-build to compile latest Qt 6 and Plasma 6 in Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Nowadays you can also use kdesrc-build to compile latest Qt 6 and Plasma 6 in Kubuntu.
          That is what I should do, then. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by alphabitserial View Post

Check out nvidia-vaapi-driver for accelerated video support on Wayland in Firefox. If you find it's not working you might want to check the issue I opened which has a workaround for an issue I was facing the last time I used that setup. Currently my motherboard's PCI-e slot is busted so I've been stuck on an old laptop and can't enjoy my 3050 for 4K video and gaming.
            I even folded according to the NV Codec instructions. I played with it some time ago. But then he didn't come back to it yet. And I don't have remarks, so I don't know what is in what state. But how time and taste will be, I'll try again. Thanks for the tip.
            So I looked at it and I don't know why, I have only these codec support. According to info, I should also have VP9 or H265, at least partially.​

In Chromio, I have a functional HW decoding. But it doesn't apply. Probably because the YT test video gives me VP9 codec.​

Code:
            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vainfo [/COLOR]
            libva info: VA-API version 1.19.0
            libva info: User environment variable requested driver 'nvidia'
            libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
            libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_0
            libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
            vainfo: VA-API version: 1.19 (libva 2.12.0)
            vainfo: Driver version: VA-API NVDEC driver [egl backend]
            vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
            VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
            VAProfileHEVCMain12 : VAEntrypointVLD[/FONT]
            I atualized Vaapi on 0.11. Under the X11 does not work on YT acceleration, although it claims to be functional. I went through about 50 elections, all ok.
            Code:
            Under Wayland I found this mistake as you write.
            Libegl Warning: EGL: Failed to Create Dri2 Screen
            [GFX1-]: Wayland Protocol Error: Warning: Queue 7FCA092392E0 Destroyed while proxies Still Attached:
            [GFX1-]: Wayland Protocol Error: WL_Display@1 Still Attachhed​
            Next test with varriables:
            Code:
            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=nvidia MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1 MOZ_X11_EGL=1 NVD_BACKEND=direct ADW_DISABLE_PORT[/COLOR]
            AL=1 MOZ_DRM_DEVICE=/dev/dri/renderD128 firefox
            [9006, Main Thread] WARNING: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1:21: Failed to import: Chyba při otevírání souboru /home/
            roman/snap/firefox/3687/.config/gtk-3.0/colors.css: No such file or directory: 'glib warning', file /build/firefox/p
            arts/firefox/build/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:187

(firefox:9006): Gtk-[COLOR=#ffff54][B]WARNING[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] **: [/COLOR][COLOR=#1818b2]15:56:52.978[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1:21: Failed to import: Chyba při otevírá[/COLOR]
            ní souboru /home/roman/snap/firefox/3687/.config/gtk-3.0/colors.css: No such file or directory
            libEGL warning: egl: failed to create dri2 screen
            [GFX1-]: Wayland protocol error: warning: queue 7f47e74bf0a0 destroyed while proxies still attached:

[GFX1-]: Wayland protocol error: wl_display@1 still attached

[Parent 9006, Main Thread] WARNING: OnGetManifestDone error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: Coul
            d not find native messaging server: 'glib warning', file /build/firefox/parts/firefox/build/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandler
            s.cpp:187

** (firefox:9006): [COLOR=#ffff54][B]WARNING[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] **: [/COLOR][COLOR=#1818b2]15:56:55.377[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]: OnGetManifestDone error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFo[/COLOR]
            und: Could not find native messaging server
            KMS: DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CREATE_DUMB failed: Permission denied [/FONT]
            Last edited by Rovano; 01 February 2024, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post

Nvidia Wayland support is lacking, so I can imagine they're doing a software copy on that 4k video, which would stress any CPU.

The way the Linux Nvidia driver, even on X11, performs when more than one accelerated application interacts is so bad that I'm surprised how well Nvidia actually runs under a compositor on Windows. It's a unified codebase, so they can't be doing things that differently.
              Originally posted by alphabitserial View Post

Check out nvidia-vaapi-driver for accelerated video support on Wayland in Firefox. If you find it's not working you might want to check the issue I opened which has a workaround for an issue I was facing the last time I used that setup. Currently my motherboard's PCI-e slot is busted so I've been stuck on an old laptop and can't enjoy my 3050 for 4K video and gaming.

So it works through the GPU decoder!
              Wayland+Firefox+Vaapi+Nvidia 545+YT 4K video.
              Tested with H264 (locally) and VP9 30 and 60fps on YouTube.​

Also under Wayland works well VLC for acceleration.​
              Finally, I missed the libnvidia-egl-wayland1 package.​​
              Last edited by Rovano; 02 February 2024, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
                So it works through the GPU decoder!
                Wayland+Firefox+Vaapi+Nvidia 545+YT 4K video.
                Tested with H264 (locally) and VP9 30 and 60fps on YouTube.​

Also under Wayland works well VLC for acceleration.​
                Finally, I missed the libnvidia-egl-wayland1 package.​​
                Nice! Yeah, Firefox is the way to go to use it. I don't think Chromium uses vaapi for video acceleration, they do their own thing.

Comment

Working...
                X