No announcement yet.

KDE Lands More Performance Improvements & Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 6.0 Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Lands More Performance Improvements & Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 6.0 Next Month

Phoronix: KDE Lands More Performance Improvements & Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 6.0 Next Month

We're nearly one month to the day until the release of the much anticipated KDE Plasma 6.0 desktop release alongside the new KDE Gear apps and KDE Frameworks 6.0. Developers aren't letting up at all with more performance optimizations and fixes continuing to hit the codebase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I installed the NVIDIA 545 series and in X11, as usual, they cut effects, but the YT 4K video without acceleration through the GPU, which is surprising on my 11 -year -old CPU. And on Wayland it is exactly the opposite. Smooth area and cutting YT video. But I'm lazy to test it with new profiles, so don't take it as a 100% thing.​

Comment

When I take a look at http://iskdeusingqt6.org it says that only 20 out of 66 projects are build against qt6. Isn't that a bit few?

Comment

The missing projects on that list are either not in development anymore or have very few devs working on them (e.g. amarok)
        Also the qt5 transition was also in steps (kf5, plasma and core apps first then everything else in waves)

Comment

That website is out of date and a bit broken. There are more than 500 KDE projects, not 66. That alone tells me that it's not looking at the right data source anymore.

Comment

Tried the latest Neon Unstable a couple of days ago (Plasma 6.1). Even that looks and works as a ready-to-go thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post
              I installed the NVIDIA 545 series and in X11, as usual, they cut effects, but the YT 4K video without acceleration through the GPU, which is surprising on my 11 -year -old CPU. And on Wayland it is exactly the opposite. Smooth area and cutting YT video. But I'm lazy to test it with new profiles, so don't take it as a 100% thing.​
              Nvidia Wayland support is lacking, so I can imagine they're doing a software copy on that 4k video, which would stress any CPU.

The way the Linux Nvidia driver, even on X11, performs when more than one accelerated application interacts is so bad that I'm surprised how well Nvidia actually runs under a compositor on Windows. It's a unified codebase, so they can't be doing things that differently.

Comment

Just tried to install Plasma 6 on openSUSE Tumbleweed, but no matter if I use the official repos with the git revisions or the Plasma 6 RC repo by the famous Vogtinator, zypper wants me to make a whole lot of choices and all of them leave with an unusable desktop as a result. Guess I have to wait longer to upgrade KDE 5 to 6 then…

Comment

I tested it last month and was pleasantly surprised by this transition to QT6. Looks like it will be much less traumatic change than it was in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Just tried to install Plasma 6 on openSUSE Tumbleweed, but no matter if I use the official repos with the git revisions or the Plasma 6 RC repo by the famous Vogtinator, zypper wants me to make a whole lot of choices and all of them leave with an unusable desktop as a result. Guess I have to wait longer to upgrade KDE 5 to 6 then…
                    Yeah, it didn't goo all that smooth on Arch either. I finally got it installed when I told pacman to update just the Breeze package, not the Plasma one. Because of dependencies, it upgraded everything anyway, but otherwise it would just trip looking at both Qt5 and Qt6 versions of the same things.
                    On the upside, the release is almost near, so you can just wait for that at this point.

Comment

Working...
                    X