Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 9.1 Released With Better Dvorak Keyboard Detection, Input Method Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 9.1 Released With Better Dvorak Keyboard Detection, Input Method Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 9.1 Released With Better Dvorak Keyboard Detection, Input Method Improvements

Following the recent Wine 9.0 stable release earlier this month, Wine 9.1 is now available as the first bi-weekly development release in the new series that will ultimately culminate with the Wine 10.0 stable release in early 2025...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AVG Antivirus setup crashes on unimplemented function ADVAPI32.dll.TreeSetNamedSecurityInfoW 56054
    This is interesting. An Antivirus running with Wine. Honest question, are the Wine virtual environments susceptible to viruses?

LibreOffice 7.6.4 crashes on unimplemented function msvcp140_2.dll.__std_smf_hypot3 56078
    Hey, this is great! I do occasionally run LibreOffice through Wine and it is not a bad experience.

Comment

Originally posted by carguello2 View Post

This is interesting. An Antivirus running with Wine. Honest question, are the Wine virtual environments susceptible to viruses?
      Of course

Comment

Alexandros is also back working on our favorite Wayland driver. He already made two pull request

Comment

Absolutely. Windows malware works in Wine just fine and has the potential to wreak havoc to all your Linux user files.

You don't think of Windows viruses as "viruses", they are normal Win32 applications. Why wouldn't they work under Wine?

AVs will not work in Wine though and I don't understand the point of file bug reports against them as they all (?) need kernel level drivers which won't and can't work under Wine for obvious reasons.
          Last edited by avis; 27 January 2024, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Even older Wine versions work fine with Dvorak over here, but oh well, always good to see improvements.

Comment

are the Wine virtual environments susceptible to viruses?
              See the warnings at the top of Arch Wine page

It points to Wine FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                AVs will not work in Wine though and I don't understand the point of file bug reports against them as they all (?) need kernel level drivers which won't and can't work under Wine for obvious reasons.
                Not completely correct. Some kernel mode drivers work, unless they make use of privileged stuff or devices (but AVs don't use the latter for sure, no idea of the former).

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                  Alexandros is also back working on our favorite Wayland driver. He already made two pull request
                  Speak for yourself, that shit is dead on arrival.

And he skipped two MRs because they will never work properly because of Crapland's limitations. Get fucked.

Comment

This wine version come with some interesting things case dead rising fixed bug related wmv

however in my case appear in black using wined3d implementation and with dxvk remains equal on infinite loading (sometimes work, sometimes dont)

but in good news other titles work in my vega 7 oc (4gb of vram force on bios)

in control is impressive, runs much better than i had geforce gtx 1050 2gb, thanks to much larger vram avalaible​

Also wine 9.1 staging ubuntu deb packages stay avalaible on:

Last edited by pinguinpc; 27 January 2024, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X