No announcement yet.

KDE Config File Lookups Now 13~16% Faster, More Fixes Ahead Of KDE Plasma 6.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Config File Lookups Now 13~16% Faster, More Fixes Ahead Of KDE Plasma 6.0

Phoronix: KDE Config File Lookups Now 13~16% Faster, More Fixes Ahead Of KDE Plasma 6.0

There's just over one month to go until the release of the KDE Plasma 6.0 desktop along with the new KDE Gear apps and KDE Frameworks 6. This week KDE Plasma 6.0 and KDE Gear applications have been branched...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the link leads to a page saying:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to pointieststick.com. The OCSP response does not include a status for the certificate being verified.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_OCSP_RESPONSE_FOR_CERT_MISSING​

Comment

I have been using latest Plasma 6 development releases in KDE Neon with Latitude 7400 laptop. The current RC1 is as stable as 5.27 LTS as far as I can see.The only bugs I can see are the followings.
      - There are two lines at the top and bottom of the screen with fractional scaling, disappear with 100%
      - The version of Plasma is reported as 6.0.80 is system info
      - When fractional scaling is changed, the window on top is cropped instead of scaling. A minimize action on the taskbar corrects the problem

Forgot to add: Uses the same memory as 5.27 (kernel is the same in comparison) and as snappy as 5.27. And, of course, all this use is with Wayland.
      Last edited by mrg666; 20 January 2024, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I'll be able to check out that sweet sweet Plasma 6 goodness on Slackware current before not too too long. XFCE is my main desktop but I sure can enjoy me some Plasma, it's great for gaming too, spill some.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          the link leads to a page saying:
          No issues in Falkon.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
            I have been using latest Plasma 6 development releases in KDE Neon with Latitude 7400 laptop. The current RC1 is as stable as 5.27 LTS as far as I can see.The only bugs I can see are the followings.
            - There are two lines at the top and bottom of the screen with fractional scaling, disappear with 100%
            - The version of Plasma is reported as 6.0.80 is system info
            - When fractional scaling is changed, the window on top is cropped instead of scaling. A minimize action on the taskbar corrects the problem

Forgot to add: Uses the same memory as 5.27 (kernel is the same in comparison) and as snappy as 5.27. And, of course, all this use is with Wayland.
            If you're using Neon Unstable then the version number being 6.0.80 is not a bug, the bleeding edge code is now what will become Plasma 6.1 so that's what you're testing, not 6.0 RC1, the watermark thing on the desktop should even say 6.1 Dev if you haven't disabled it.​

Comment

Working fine here, I've been using it since the beta. Beta was still buggy, RC1 is much better. Still the odd glitch here and there (a line of the wrong color, a window using the wrong there/decoration - the latter may may just a bug in Chromium), but both X and Wayland working fine on Nvidia hardware.
              Of course, the team still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and didn't port the font dpi settings to Wayland. So I have to squint at my 4k monitor. It's possible this is just of matter of simply using bigger fonts, haven't looked into that yet, but instead of a single setting, that means changing a bunch of them together.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Of course, the team still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and didn't port the font dpi settings to Wayland. So I have to squint at my 4k monitor. It's possible this is just of matter of simply using bigger fonts, haven't looked into that yet, but instead of a single setting, that means changing a bunch of them together.
                If you mean the force font DPI setting that has been removed intentionally in Plasma 6, since the idea is that you should be able to use the display scaling now, especially since Qt6 and SDL 2.28 at least support the Wayland fractional scaling protocol so they shouldn't be blurry anymore (if they still are, file bug reports of course).

So you really should be able to change just a single setting, that being the display scale. Or if you really just want bigger fonts then you can still change the font size, Plasma 6 still has that setting.

More details about the decision and the discussion leading up to it here: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...op/-/issues/62

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

If you mean the force font DPI setting that has been removed intentionally in Plasma 6, since the idea is that you should be able to use the display scaling now, especially since Qt6 and SDL 2.28 at least support the Wayland fractional scaling protocol so they shouldn't be blurry anymore (if they still are, file bug reports of course).

So you really should be able to change just a single setting, that being the display scale. Or if you really just want bigger fonts then you can still change the font size, Plasma 6 still has that setting.

More details about the decision and the discussion leading up to it here: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...op/-/issues/62
                  Well that sucks. I don't want to scale the whole display, I like being able to watch 4k videos unscaled on my 4k monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by X_m7 View Post

If you're using Neon Unstable then the version number being 6.0.80 is not a bug, the bleeding edge code is now what will become Plasma 6.1 so that's what you're testing, not 6.0 RC1, the watermark thing on the desktop should even say 6.1 Dev if you haven't disabled it.​
                    Really? Thanks for letting me know. Didn't even know 6.1 development was in the works before 6.0 released. These guys are amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X