KDE Hiring For New Project To Promote Environmentally-Sustainable Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
    But still no link? Maybe there is some detail missing like a defect or smt. $15 would be 850 ETB and I couldn't find any phone in that area. Also take a look here:
    The Smartphones market in Ethiopia is projected to grow by 13.18% (2024-2028) resulting in a market volume of US$6.1bn in 2028.

So maybe this year every 10th person there might have a smartphone. And it's probably not because they don't want them, but they don't have the money.
    Yeah, tell more about Ethiopia. Do you have any other absurdities?

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
      I think these panix and anux guys are the same. There is very small possibility for two outliers on the same spot and post at the same time. Can somebody please check their IPs and delete at least one of them?
      Nope, wrong again, idiot. I'm gonna stop replying to you. You're obviously a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
        Nope, wrong again, idiot. I'm gonna stop replying to you. You're obviously a troll.
        So our last communication will be this?

Comment

• I'm just glad to hear Ethiopia's economy is more stable than it used to be. A long way to go, but there's some smarts in there.

So many year's they went through being repressed and struggling, even if it is ongoing.
          Hi

Comment

• I wish Epic Games and Valve would get someone to work on this too.

If you idle in Fortnite the game uses an absurd amount of power. I see most people just leaving their game running when they go eat lunch, did shopping, went to watch a movie. Running while (true) would use less power. It's mostly done out of convenience because when they are back they don't need to wait 40 seconds for the game to load.

Why can't we look at the top 10 or 20 most popular games and optimize idle times, as well as gaming times where games very often run much faster than the screen's frame rate. Most Source Engine games run unlimited frame rate by default. There's no GUI config option to specific max frame rate in Source. You can use the console but unless you modify your config the change does not persist and defaults back to unlimited frames per second.

There are drivers that try to improve this for example if you can set your driver into eco mode then it limits the maximum frame rate for all or selected games. There are also games like Path of Exile that allows you to set frame rate when the game is not focused. I run the game for thousands of hours to be online to make trades. If the game is focused then it runs at 144hz otherwise it runs at 5hz.

Consoles have introduced a feature that saves game states (to disk I presume) and allows players to continue exactly where they left off without waiting for the game to load. I think they delete the state after a few days. This is an awesome feature that many other platforms should start using too.

There's a lot of low hanging fruit in gaming industry.

In servers/compute serverless/lambda is doing a good job to get people to optimize their code to save costs. Many developers want to make their code better but business doesn't allow them. We need incentives like serverless functions to convince business to improve.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
              I wish Epic Games and Valve would get someone to work on this too.

If you idle in Fortnite the game uses an absurd amount of power. I see most people just leaving their game running when they go eat lunch, did shopping, went to watch a movie. Running while (true) would use less power. It's mostly done out of convenience because when they are back they don't need to wait 40 seconds for the game to load.

Why can't we look at the top 10 or 20 most popular games and optimize idle times, as well as gaming times where games very often run much faster than the screen's frame rate. Most Source Engine games run unlimited frame rate by default. There's no GUI config option to specific max frame rate in Source. You can use the console but unless you modify your config the change does not persist and defaults back to unlimited frames per second.

There are drivers that try to improve this for example if you can set your driver into eco mode then it limits the maximum frame rate for all or selected games. There are also games like Path of Exile that allows you to set frame rate when the game is not focused. I run the game for thousands of hours to be online to make trades. If the game is focused then it runs at 144hz otherwise it runs at 5hz.

Consoles have introduced a feature that saves game states (to disk I presume) and allows players to continue exactly where they left off without waiting for the game to load. I think they delete the state after a few days. This is an awesome feature that many other platforms should start using too.

There's a lot of low hanging fruit in gaming industry.

In servers/compute serverless/lambda is doing a good job to get people to optimize their code to save costs. Many developers want to make their code better but business doesn't allow them. We need incentives like serverless functions to convince business to improve.
              Sorry to say most of this would require government regulation. We seen the same thing with cars for years.

Comment

Working...
              X