KDE Hiring For New Project To Promote Environmentally-Sustainable Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    In the same way just putting up a dam or a hydro plant interferes with the flow of a river, 70,000+ giant wind turbines in the U.S. alone must have an impact on natural airflow.

One can't help but wonder, if the supposed increase in catastrophic weather patterns are related to the fact that as of 2016 there were 341,000 wind turbines globally

Yes it not a question that wind turbine has effects. Some are like warmer at night and cooler in the day.

So depending on placement wind farms can have positive and negative weather effects.

The wind turbine slowing of wind speeds can prevent the formation of items like cyclones and tornado if they are placed in the right areas. Of course this can also cause increased rainfall and flooding.

So what kind of catastrophic weather are you talking about. Wind Farms and Burning fossil fuels both effect the global weather system in different ways so increase risk of different catastrophic weather.

This has a interesting collection.

You start noticing something. Those that normally get to 100 percent renewable normally are geothermal or hydro at core.

You see lot of people pointing to papers on Wind/Solar not pointing to Hydro, Geothermal new wave stuff...

This wave power generator has completed a 12-month trial off King Island in Bass Strait, successfully generating electricity for hundreds of homes — now the company behind it wants to look at what's next.

Yes lots of different options we have not tried.

Yes the Wave one you redesign you breakwater zones to be breakwater and power generation it taken some time to work out how todo that.

If we got serous yes by 2050 the world could be 100 percent renewable but it would not be wind and solar alone. Large sections would have to be hydro projects and wave projects and geothermal.

Tidal power is another thing we as human have not fully exploited.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

There is no colossal failure and it does not need to be 100% renewable. Wind is used where feasible, solar is somewhere else, nuclear when needed. Again, wind and solar are coming to get you boooooo. Let me go check my car's charge from my solar panels in the mean time. That car is so fast unbelievable.
      LMAO, wow, you sure are a narcissist. Okay, enjoy your car - enjoy your ride down the block and then you have to drive back home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Finding a PC system under 2GB of RAM is near impossible for the last decade, maybe 15 years.
        I agree that around 2008 2GB became the standard but you could always get a cheap PC with less. Far from uncommon.

I have no idea what you're even saying here.
        Then go download the Ubuntu LTS releases from the last 10 years and compare their memory and cpu usage. It increased every time a little bit and between LTS it's a far bigger amount.

Linux DEs have been fairly steady in their resource usage for years.
        Yes steadily increasing, but that's the problem I was talking about. Even if you argue that it's just a little bit, yes but it's a little bit for every thing on your PC not just 10 mb for the DE.

Here, you're just arguing entirely in fallacies. Nothing you say here is even remotely in context
        Dude? You came with that stupid argument that everyone is rich and there are only 200 poor people world wide. The context is your bullshit I was debunking.

You pretending like people in Ethiopia would pay a full $40 USD
        No they don't get special prices because a smartphone is hardly produced for $40 and as mentioned they want to eat first not much money they can save from that and then still other things would be higher in their priority list. You have a really distorted impression what it means to be poor. Most hardware they get is from western countries donating old hardware.

extremely lacking in critical thinking skills
        Am I or are you just lacking a proof that those people buy $15 smartphones?

when their $15 USD phone is faster and can do 100x the things that the T60 can do.
        Were do you get a $15 smartphone, that is less than it costs producing one? And a smartphone without GSM/LTE provider is pretty useless so the much to high $15 will need additional monthly payments.
        All that while anything that includes writing text is easily better and faster done on a T60. Sure many people don't need a computer anymore, but they also don't really do stuff you would need a computer or KDE for (social media and endless consumption). We should only talk about those cases that need a computer, unless there is a KDE version for smartphones?

And again, there's a difference between "environmentally friendly" and "too old to be useful" especially in technology.
        This too old is just because KDE is so heavily bloated that it doesn't run on it anymore. And the whole article indicated that KDE want's to do something against it.
        Anything older than a decade is more useful as recycled material than as an actual product.
        Just you saying this doesn't change the fact that it is better for our environment if we still use this hardware instead of recycling and buying new.
        There's plenty of rare earth metals in older tech that could offset the need to mine more if people would be willing to recycle them.
        Yes and if recycling were cheaper than mining, that would also help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
          LMAO, wow, you sure are a narcissist. Okay, enjoy your car - enjoy your ride down the block and then you have to drive back home.
          Call me whatever you want, you are nothing to get under my skin. But facts are facts. If you contradict the facts, you tell me what you are. There are two possibilities.

See the wind energy growth trend here and other references.

Brush up on your knowledge of wind! Get the details on a few of the lesser-known wind energy facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duha View Post
            There is the https://eco.kde.org/ homepage with links to the handbook and blog posts etc..
            Thanks, it is at least a lot more clear what they want to achieve.
            since in some cases the production of devices, together with their transportation and end of life treatment, contribute more greenhouse gas emissions than the devices' use over their entire operating life. To illustrate this, consider Apple's 2019 Environmental Responsibility Report, which estimates that Apple contributed 25.2 million metric tons of CO2 in 2018 (p. 9). Most of this—a whopping eighty percent (!!!)—comes from production (74%), transportation (5%) and end-of-life treatment (<1%). Only 19% comes from the actual usage of the devices.​
            And we have some numbers here too, although it seems like end of life for apple is just throwing it in the bin, because recycling would have much more energy requirements than 1%. But just after this passage they compare e-readers to classic books and totally forget that you can throw a book away and it will decompose while you have to at least do something with the battery from the reader.

Overall this Handbook talks about many points I find also important and it seems to be aware of the most problems we have with e-waste. Although making KDE usable on old hardware doesn't really seem to be a big point of them. They are mostly trying to comply to those 2 eco labels to show everyone how green they are, instead of just doing it.

Comment

• I think these panix and anux guys are the same. There is very small possibility for two outliers on the same spot and post at the same time. Can somebody please check their IPs and delete at least one of them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
                Thanks, it is at least a lot more clear what they want to achieve.

And we have some numbers here too, although it seems like end of life for apple is just throwing it in the bin, because recycling would have much more energy requirements than 1%. But just after this passage they compare e-readers to classic books and totally forget that you can throw a book away and it will decompose while you have to at least do something with the battery from the reader.

Overall this Handbook talks about many points I find also important and it seems to be aware of the most problems we have with e-waste. Although making KDE usable on old hardware doesn't really seem to be a big point of them. They are mostly trying to comply to those 2 eco labels to show everyone how green they are, instead of just doing it.
                Somebody is throwing cliche lines from alternative reality groups. Hey, go back to your echo chamber. It is not resonating here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  Am I or are you just lacking a proof that those people buy $15 smartphones?
                  Were do you get a $15 smartphone, that is less than it costs producing one?
                  Easy. I went to an Ethiopian website, selling phones to Ethiopians. I searched for the cheapest 2nd hand smartphone and found one that, after I converted the currency to USD, came out to a little less than $15. Obviously brand new phones are not $15, but even that 2nd hand phone had a 4-core 64-bit Arm SoC which would be more powerful than the CPU you were talking about. When I brought up the $40 price tag earlier, I was already talking about 2nd hand items on ebay and facebook marketplace. Why would I ever be talking about brand new stuff when the entire discussion is about older hardware?

Comment

Easy. I went to an Ethiopian website, selling phones to Ethiopians. I searched for the cheapest 2nd hand smartphone and found one that, after I converted the currency to USD, came out to a little less than $15. Obviously brand new phones are not $15, but even that 2nd hand phone had a 4-core 64-bit Arm SoC which would be more powerful than the CPU you were talking about. When I brought up the $40 price tag earlier, I was already talking about 2nd hand items on ebay and facebook marketplace. Why would I ever be talking about brand new stuff when the entire discussion is about older hardware?
                    Anux guy is logged out now and will come back as Panix soon to spew the same nonsense from their common broken record.

Comment

Easy. I went to an Ethiopian website, selling phones to Ethiopians. I searched for the cheapest 2nd hand smartphone and found one that, after I converted the currency to USD, came out to a little less than $15.
                      But still no link? Maybe there is some detail missing like a defect or smt. $15 would be 850 ETB and I couldn't find any phone in that area. Also take a look here:
                      The Smartphones market in Ethiopia is projected to grow by 13.18% (2024-2028) resulting in a market volume of US$6.1bn in 2028.

• On average, each person in Ethiopia is expected to have a volume of 0.1pieces in the Smartphones market in 2024.
                      • Despite being one of the fastest-growing economies in Africa, Ethiopia's smartphone market is still relatively untapped, presenting significant growth potential for both global and domestic smartphone manufacturers.
                      So maybe this year every 10th person there might have a smartphone. And it's probably not because they don't want them, but they don't have the money.

Comment

Working...
                      X