No announcement yet.

KDE Hiring For New Project To Promote Environmentally-Sustainable Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is about fighting programmed obsolesce, and to remove bloat so our machines use less resources/waste of energy, I approve. Let's all install Xfce.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanboy80 View Post
      Yep, probably one of those lunatics that glues himself on the street is going to take that position.
      That is now done by farmers but if they are doing it it is okay?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
        Just imagine...

Coding by the light of a warm fireplace while pedalling your bike to charge the batteries that run your phone and computer.

Charging your EV is optional.

Fireplaces are carbon-producing relics. Which is big no-no. The only environmentally-neutral way to charge your EV is by pedaling your generator.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          Just imagine...

Coding by the light of a warm fireplace while pedalling your bike to charge the batteries that run your phone and computer.
          Producing the food for this exercises will take much more energy. Otherwise it will be good for health. After the worldwide spread of the American diat maybe not a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            "+environmentally-sustainable software" - what a joke. Anything to do with Germany needs to be avoided.
            I think it was Sweden? 😚😎

Comment

A quick search confirms that environmentally-sustainable-software just means that it saves energy and resources, and it might also allow older, legacy hardware to continue providing value for a longer time.
              Seems like KDE might be hiring for the purposes of finding ways to minimize resource usage of their software.

Comment

I just revived a 8-year-old dual-core ultrabook Dell Latitude 7370 by installing Kubuntu. That, once a highest-end notebook, that was feeling too slow to use with Windows, is now running very smooth with Kubuntu; it feels like a hardware upgrade.

Good initiative. Efficient software is better software.
                ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
                  If it is about fighting programmed obsolesce, and to remove bloat so our machines use less resources/waste of energy, I approve. Let's all install Xfce.
                  That's a good point. But even if this "environmentally-sustainable software" initiative is about energy-efficiency - that would be redundant. Good software should be energy-efficient without the need for non-technical dead weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    "+environmentally-sustainable software" - what a joke. Anything to do with Germany needs to be avoided.
                    Ok, thanks for the typical American mentality of not giving a fuck about the environment, the pollution, the air and health of others!
                    It's clear that this website is not for you:
                    Building Energy-Efficient Free Software

Maybe it's not your fault, but the American culture of indoctrination where everybody should own and driver a muscle car or a truck everywhere and not give a crap about the environment and the planet.

Anyway, we Europeans try to do more and since software controls the hardware and can make the CPUs / GPUs run at a higher frequency consuming more power which means the power plants polluting more, we try to optimize that too and not waste electricity so much.
                    Personally I would go as far as forbidding HDCP as it's waste a lot of cycles and power with all that encoding decoding going on all the time for cabled that are in my house anyway.
                    And I would fine the crap of HDMI forum too for forbidding Adaptive sync so lower refresh rates too on HDMI 2.1 with the open source drivers.
                    I bet the always high refresh rates wastes some power too from both the screens and from the GPUs.

Luckily KDE is mostly an European organization and has good principles!
                    And as a side effect from all the power efficiency optimizations we should also have longer battery times on our portable devices.

Comment

Originally posted by sergk View Post

That's a good point. But even if this "environmentally-sustainable software" initiative is about energy-efficiency - that would be redundant. Good software should be energy-efficient without the need for non-technical dead weight.
                      Hahaha. Do you really think that webapps(MS Teams) aka the SUVs of software development are efficient? My experience as programmer is that software is really inefficient programmed. There is simply no push by the consumer for efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                      X