No announcement yet.

Firefox 121 Now Available With Wayland Enabled By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The post you responded to already know what ASIO is and they're right that it's not needed because applications can already use ALSA directly. In terms of latency between ALSA and ASIO, I've heard that ALSA is lower latency especially with a real-time kernel.

Another reason that some audio devices (like my MixPre6 II) needed ASIO drivers in Windows for so long was because, while MacOS and Linux supported USB Audio Class 2.0 in 2010, Windows didn't support it until 2017 so there was no way to access more than two input and output channels without something like ASIO.
    Last edited by Myownfriend; 19 December 2023, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Great!
      Now they only need to enable by default the Qt / KDE file manager / picker when when it's running on a Qt-based DE like KDE Plasma or LXQT!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Great!
        Now they only need to enable by default the Qt / KDE file manager / picker when when it's running on a Qt-based DE like KDE Plasma or LXQT!
        Firefox already supports this. widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal in about:config. It is up to the applications to add support for XDG desktop portal.

Comment

For year of linux desktop, linux needs better GUI toolkits and backward compatibility with old apps like windows.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Firefox already supports this. widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal in about:config. It is up to the applications to add support for XDG desktop portal.
            That option so broken that I never use it. Just not worth it.

Comment

still waiting for JXL T.T

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

That option so broken that I never use it. Just not worth it.
                That's your choice.

As I already noted, option works on any application that supports XDG portal. Firefox cannot do anything about applications which don't. File bug reports with the applications that are broken.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
                  As I already noted, option works on any application that supports XDG portal. Firefox cannot do anything about applications which don't. File bug reports with the applications that are broken.
                  Waste of time for the most part. I think these portal bugs plague their bugzilla for years. I don't think it works reliably to bother yet.

Also, I think someone mentioned that using portals for file picker is a wrong usage, so it's not even a scenario some consider that has to be supported and recommending it is a bad idea in such case.

Comment

Waste of time for the most part. I think these portal bugs plague their bugzilla for years
                    Not my experience. I have seen many applications add support over the years for the XDG portal. Have you reported any?

Also, I think someone mentioned that using portals for file picker is a wrong usage, so it's not even a scenario some consider that has to be supported and recommending it is a bad idea in such case.
                    XDG portal's primary purpose isn't to choose your file picker. Having said that, it works fine for applications that support it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      Yes... and no. They are niche cases, but they are the ones where the future of the desktop is: graphical, audio and development workstations. In other words they are the ones where Linux absolutely must be competitive.
                      The future of the "desktop" is in professional workstations that cost tens of thousands of dollars?

The future of the "desktop" is going to be sub-$1500 laptops exactly like it's been for the past 20 years. If GNU/Linux sold out to focus solely on supporting workstation CPUs and GPUs, the OS would virtually disappear.

Comment

Working...
                      X