Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 121 Now Available With Wayland Enabled By Default

Phoronix: Firefox 121 Now Available With Wayland Enabled By Default

Ahead of tomorrow's official announcement, the Mozilla Firefox 121.0 release binaries have hit the mirrors and it's keeping to the most exciting Christmas gift for Linux desktop users: Wayland support enabled by default!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another one that enable Wayland by default.
    Interesting future, with interesting prospects.

Comment

Hopefully this improves the experience of FireFox for me.

Looking forward to when the Wayland transition is complete(-ish).

I'm not saying 2024 is the year of Linux, but we have a lot to look forward to next year. And if you ask me, every year is the year of Linux. ^^,

Comment

Originally posted by Eudyptula View Post
        I'm not saying 2024 is the year of Linux, but we have a lot to look forward to next year. And if you ask me, every year is the year of Linux. ^^,
        For starters Linux needs to support 16 bit color channels with complex gamut mappings. Three 8k displays with VRR and HDR and varying refresh rates, subpixel layouts and orientation. Also HDCP 2.2 and asio like low latency support for HDMI Audio. In addition 4-head displays need to support 4-way multiseat in addition to multi seat via RDP and VNC. OpenGL should be faster than native via zink + vulkan, also for all virtualization techs. Also 3d model avatars for zoom and colored borders for the captured window. So this is the bare minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          asio
          You mean literal asynchronous I/O? There's io_uring.

You mean ASIO, the Steinberg offering? Nah, we don't need that. We got ALSA, JACK and PipeWire.
          The latter two are superior as they allow simultaneous applications without hardware support.

Comment

It would be lovely if screen blanking and locking worked too, but is it in the tests to pass for Wayland? [Inserted jwz.org/blog -citing bit where Wayland apparently doesn't have the sophistication that X has where lock could work, maybe it's down to Cinnamon and Gnome and KDE or future work in systemd.]

Comment

Firefox 119 security vulnerability​ was the reason why radical left-wing hackers where apple to attack phoronix.com forum members with a malicious​ link to a hacked webserver to get access on the victims systems then they tried to use the LogoFail vulnerability​ to permanently infect the mainboard of the victims computer system. LogoFail defeats any protection measure like secure boot and also delete all data on the harddrive and format and freshly install new operating system does not remove the LogoFail based Trojan at every boot the Trojan in the Logo again exploit​ the LogoFail vulnerability​ and then writes itself to ram as a Fileless trojan.

people should disable the boot logo in the UEFI Bios as a mitigation and demand a BIOS update for their Mainboard

Old Apple UEFI systems and DELL systems are not affected because they burn their logo inside the bios without the ability to change the logo.​

LogoFail:

maximum credible accident of closed source BIOS/UEFI

AMI is deeply committed to its role as a leader in firmware security. Learn more here about our in-house firmware security.

LogoFail by BINARLY: Discover how vulnerable image parsing impacts device manufacturers in the UEFI firmware ecosystem. Learn about critical LogoFAIL consequences.

https://binarly.io/posts/finding_logofail_the_dangers_of_image_parsing_duri ng_system_boot/

it looks like the people who attacked me over a link places in the phoronix.com forum used the LogoFail: UEFI SecureBoot hack to even survive delete and formating my SSD by infect the Boot logo of my mainboard.

\EFI\OEM\Logo.jpg

people should demand BIOS/UEFI security update what makes sure the logo of the uefi boot can nolonger be changed by the operating system in the \EFI\OEM\ directory and \EFI\OEM\Logo.jpg file.​
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

You mean literal asynchronous I/O? There's io_uring.

You mean ASIO, the Steinberg offering? Nah, we don't need that. We got ALSA, JACK and PipeWire.
                The latter two are superior as they allow simultaneous applications without hardware support.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  For starters Linux needs to support 16 bit color channels with complex gamut mappings. Three 8k displays with VRR and HDR and varying refresh rates, subpixel layouts and orientation. Also HDCP 2.2 and asio like low latency support for HDMI Audio. In addition 4-head displays need to support 4-way multiseat in addition to multi seat via RDP and VNC. OpenGL should be faster than native via zink + vulkan, also for all virtualization techs. Also 3d model avatars for zoom and colored borders for the captured window. So this is the bare minimum.
                  These are not "for starters", these are extremely niche use cases only needed right now by 0,0000001% of the user base.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

These are not "for starters", these are extremely niche use cases only needed right now by 0,0000001% of the user base.
                    Yes... and no. They are niche cases, but they are the ones where the future of the desktop is: graphical, audio and development workstations. In other words they are the ones where Linux absolutely must be competitive.

Comment

Working...
                    X