No announcement yet.

Wine 9.0-rc1 Released With Upgraded VKD3D, Wine Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does VKD3D-Proton works with wine vulkan wayland support?

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
      Dear Linux fans. You need to establish a coherent narrative.

Once you write that Wine runs everything so wonderfully that widnows is unnecessary.

And once like you. And seeing by the pluses many agree with you.

And not so long ago I was convinced here that there is Wine, then why do I need Windows.

You change your mind like an emotionally unstable maiden - what you write can not be taken seriously.
      Ever considered it's different people using different software that work or don't work differently under Wine? And so they claim different things because their circumstances are different?

I know, it's shocking to you that the Linux community is more than just 1 user. But it's a fact. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        There is a problem here there have been Windows updates that have broken Da Vinci Resolve and MATHLAB so that problem is not restricted to Linux only..
        But that's a bug on Windows. On Linux userland it's a feature. "Deprecate" and "drop support for" is their religion.

Comment

The fact is that the most stable part of the Linux ecosystem is WinAPI implemented by Wine.

Only on Linux after a system update can MATHLAB or Da Vinci Resolve for example, stop working.

Other systems do not have such behavior.​
          Yeah. Good thing Wine exists huh?

Now you get a stable OS (not bloated junk with system-wide registry and spyware) with a good and stable userland because of Wine. Linux+Wine best of both worlds.

And before you ask, Wine's "Registry" is just userland files you can easily edit or restrict or even put on tmpfs. Nothing system breaking like on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            I couldn't care less about the wayland enablement. What I want is a working port of wine to OpenBSD. It used to work in the stone age back in 3.x or 4.x releases. But hasn't for a long long long time. There are some emulators and games that keep me from going OpenBSD only and this would go a long way towards fixing that.

I was excited a couple years ago with Wine 7.x because they were doing something called PE to let 32bit binaries run on 64bit systems, which is critical because OpenBSD is like Slackware in that it is pure 64bit with no libraries to run 32bit software like in Debian or even FreeBSD.

A google summer of code project covered by Michael on here awhile back they got 32bit wine working in 64bit NetBSD so I just assumed that OpenBSD would fall into place soon, but that has not happened yet.
            PE was a required part for that, but just the first step. The next step is syscall emulation. That's the part that actually lets you run 32bit binaries on 64bit systems with no 32bit libs. Maybe we'll see it next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              But that's a bug on Windows. On Linux userland it's a feature. "Deprecate" and "drop support for" is their religion.
              There is also a catch. Part of unix was using chroot for stable ABI, On Linux this has come docker/distrobox/containers. Windows its SXS.

Microsoft does also remove API/ABI. Speed of change is difference.

Weasel I guess you did not notice User-mode scheduling (UMS) API/ABI included in Windows 7 was removed in Windows 11.

Microsoft does not class it as bug in all feature removals. So its part of the Microsoft religion to deprecate and drop support as well. Yes feature of Microsoft Windows Weasel. Particular windows kernel updates for Windows 10 have also resulted in removed features that have never been returned and not classed as a bug being removed either.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                I couldn't care less about the wayland enablement. What I want is a working port of wine to OpenBSD. It used to work in the stone age back in 3.x or 4.x releases. But hasn't for a long long long time. There are some emulators and games that keep me from going OpenBSD only and this would go a long way towards fixing that.

I was excited a couple years ago with Wine 7.x because they were doing something called PE to let 32bit binaries run on 64bit systems, which is critical because OpenBSD is like Slackware in that it is pure 64bit with no libraries to run 32bit software like in Debian or even FreeBSD.

A google summer of code project covered by Michael on here awhile back they got 32bit wine working in 64bit NetBSD so I just assumed that OpenBSD would fall into place soon, but that has not happened yet.
                Dude, you chose OpenBSD as your OS, aka the OS for people who think Desktop Linux is too mainstream and has too much software and hardware support. The 3 million or so people who bought a Steam Deck care about Wayland enablement.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Yeah. Good thing Wine exists huh?

Now you get a stable OS (not bloated junk with system-wide registry and spyware) with a good and stable userland because of Wine. Linux+Wine best of both worlds.

And before you ask, Wine's "Registry" is just userland files you can easily edit or restrict or even put on tmpfs. Nothing system breaking like on Windows.
                  Since the post got 25 pluses so the community here confirms to it
                  Within the past few years, we went from “oh cool, that software works with wine!” to “oh damn, this software can’t run with wine?”
                  Thanks for making Windows (TM) crappy binaries work under Linux.

This is due to the fact that rather Wine is currently not suitable for anything.

stable OS
                  Tell tales of instability to other Linux users over a beer in a pub or to your children, rather than to those who use it every day - because you lose credibility that way.

"Registry"
                  Do you know what the registry gives? The ability to monitor (and, for example, set alerts) or block a single entry. You in text files can only dream about that. You have resolution only to a single txt file, and under windows to a single entry. As you would manage hundreds or thousands of desktops you would appreciate this.

And if the registry is so bad, why did GNOME gconf/dconf appear on Linux?

On Windows it's binary - you won't change the settings with a regular text editor - but it's faster for CPU processing.

Text files on windows were around in the 80s and early 90s. But with the growth of large workgroups that need to be managed the registry was introduced.

The same goes for the file system. How many rights do you have on linux? Only 3 (r/w/x). And on Windows you have26 (13 for allow and 13 for deny) - this also helps with the proper granularity of large workgroup rights.​

Comment

And if the registry is so bad, why did GNOME gconf/dconf appear on Linux?
                    Developed after the Windows registry meaning that could avoid the error by learning from Microsoft design mistake.

There is something important here each application settings are stored in each applications own file in it own directory. This limits system system destruction when things go wrong.

On Windows it's binary - you won't change the settings with a regular text editor - but it's faster for CPU processing.​
                    Not in fact true. Wine uses text based registry. Reactos developers tried out text vs binary. Performance difference is basically nothing on decent file system.

One of the faults of Microsoft binary registry files is that its not a database where you append entries at the end.

Why windows registry is so dangerous and goes wrong so often is binary registry file is mostly being completely rewritten every time it altered. The bigger it gets more likely some form of disruption will happen while it being written result in corrupt file.

Text files on windows were around in the 80s and early 90s. But with the growth of large workgroups that need to be managed the registry was introduced.
                    This is true but there is a problem here. All those text files were being stored in a single directory on a fat file system.

Think anything currently been written to a file system when operation is disrupted may be corrupted.

Storing all you settings in the main directory of your OS in text files and if that directory goes bell up due to corruption OS is not working. Yes also notice the current placement of Registry files they are not placed in ideal locations for actively written files.

Lot of ways the registry design of Windows is not well considered.

Yes the old fat file system is not what you call fast as processing directories. This is the problem what made text files so bad for CPU usage vs registery was the file system and it we don't use that file system any more when you install windows. NTFS does not have the same performance problem. Linux EXT file systems never had the problem.

Multi file solution is the route Linux world has gone because Multi file solution makes for system stability and there is very little overhead if you have a decent file system.

Windows registry design is based on historic limitations that in reality don't exist any more. If you were designing windows registery from scratch today you would most likely go something closer to gconf with per application registry files. Maybe still binary files. But more files and directories to reduce the risk of opps corrupted.

Comment

The same goes for the file system. How many rights do you have on linux? Only 3 (r/w/x). And on Windows you have26 (13 for allow and 13 for deny) - this also helps with the proper granularity of large workgroup rights.​
                      And how often do people just grant everything because they can't figure out why what they want to do is being denied? As someone who's used both Windows and Linux, I have to say that, even if Linux is too little (which is debatable), Windows is over-engineered.

The forum software is glitching out and giving me error 403 when I try to post because of something invisible that the paste handler injected into my message, so take a look at my response here:

Comment

Working...
                      X