Wine 9.0-rc1 Released With Upgraded VKD3D, Wine Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Dear Linux fans. You need to establish a coherent narrative.

Once you write that Wine runs everything so wonderfully that widnows is unnecessary.

And once like you. And seeing by the pluses many agree with you.

And not so long ago I was convinced here that there is Wine, then why do I need Windows.

You change your mind like an emotionally unstable maiden - what you write can not be taken seriously.
    Nop, we are simply pragmatic and we know it would be too naive to expect all programs to be natively available for Linux in this world, so we are also happy to have these programs that are useful or entertaining, but compiled for an OS we do not appreciate, to be executed on Linux too.
    No need to pretend we don’t know what we want.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      Can we please get Revit, SolidWorks and MS Office 365 working flawlessly?!! Everything else can be handled by Proton
      Maybe ReactOS will have it working

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Can we please get Revit, SolidWorks and MS Office 365 working flawlessly?!! Everything else can be handled by Proton
        You can run SolidWorks 2023 with wine, only the activation is broken. You have to make a new prefix after 30 days.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Can't quote the message about "crap windows binaries" above but the hubris and hypocrisy in it are truly staggering and cringy.

One hated OS allows to create binaries which can work for many decades with zero modifications, another OS implies next to zero binary compatibility even between two close releases of the same distro, yet the former OS is "crap" and the latter is "good".

Somehow one of the best things about Linux is its compatibility layer for running applications written for a different OS.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Nop, we are simply pragmatic and we know it would be too naive to expect all programs to be natively available for Linux in this world, so we are also happy to have these programs that are useful or entertaining, but compiled for an OS we do not appreciate, to be executed on Linux too.
            Nop
            nop, what?
            I am not writing about what you want, but what you write here.

Today I read:
            Within the past few years, we went from “oh cool, that software works with wine!” to “oh damn, this software can’t run with wine?”

Thanks for making Windows (TM) crappy binaries work under Linux.​
            And a few days ago I could read that Windows is not needed, because now Wine runs everything and even runs better than under Windows.

WTF?

I don't know what you want, even I'm not too interested in it, but I see that the narrative is not coherent. Almost every day a different one. Once modern creepy windows binaries don't run, other times they run beautifully better than on Windows.

And as I mentioned, such mood swings remind me of a perpetually offended puffed up emotionally unstable maiden.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Can't quote the message about "crap windows binaries" above but the hubris and hypocrisy in it are truly staggering and cringy.

One hated OS allows to create binaries which can work for many decades with zero modifications, another OS implies next to zero binary compatibility even between two close releases of the same distro, yet the former OS is "crap" and the latter is "good".

Somehow one of the best things about Linux is its compatibility layer for running applications written for a different OS.
              The fact is that the most stable part of the Linux ecosystem is WinAPI implemented by Wine.

Only on Linux after a system update can MATHLAB or Da Vinci Resolve for example, stop working.

Other systems do not have such behavior.​

Comment

Only on Linux after a system update can MATHLAB or Da Vinci Resolve for example, stop working.

Other systems do not have such behavior.​
                There is a problem here there have been Windows updates that have broken Da Vinci Resolve and MATHLAB so that problem is not restricted to Linux only..

Comment

Today I read:
                  "Within the past few years, we went from “oh cool, that software works with wine!” to “oh damn, this software can’t run with wine?”

Thanks for making Windows (TM) crappy binaries work under Linux.​​"

And a few days ago I could read that Windows is not needed, because now Wine runs everything and even runs better than under Windows.

WTF?

I don't know what you want, even I'm not too interested in it, but I see that the narrative is not coherent. Almost every day a different one. Once modern creepy windows binaries don't run, other times they run beautifully better than on Windows.
                  I think you are fundamentally misreading what he is writing there. Nothing to be ashamed of, seems like English isn't your first language.
                  a few years ago: “oh cool, that software works with wine!" <- surprised when a software does work
                  to now: “oh damn, this software can’t run with wine?” <- surprised when a software does *not* work with wine. AKA most of them do, so it is a surprise when one does not. He isn't saying that not working is the norm, he is saying the opposite.

You might disagree but it is in line with whatever strawman you say you were reading earlier about wine totally obviating the need for windows

tl;dr that post you are quoting is saying most windows software does work with wine, not the opposite. No inconsistent narrative, just you misreading it

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

Isn't there a office version for the web? And what about asking the companies to make their software with wine?
                    Yes there is a Microsoft Office web version... but its severely limited. Any business case using macros and the like have to use the desktop install.

Comment

Originally posted by FuchtelJockel View Post

You can run SolidWorks 2023 with wine, only the activation is broken. You have to make a new prefix after 30 days.
                      If this is legit this is getting pretty AWESOME! I will have to look into this further.

Comment

Working...
                      X