Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint's Cinnamon 6.0 Brings Initial -- Still Experimental -- Wayland Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
    By that time, we will be observing the Wayland replacement first beta releases.
    2026 is the year of (Wayland successor)!!
    "F@(*$$(!!!" - Clement Lefebvre

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Does it have anything in common with implementations of Gnome, KDE Plasma, Sway?
      If it's not ready until 2026, when we can expect also cool stuff like color management and HDR support?
      Looking from the outside, they seem to have made a conscious decision to base on the version of mutter used on the previous to current Ubuntu LTS. I don't know if they will stick to this, but this would mean in 2026 they will rebase to the mutter from 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

2026 is the year of (Wayland successor)!!
        "F@(*$$(!!!" - Clement Lefebvre
        Do you drive down the road screaming obsceneties at drivers of cars you don't approve of?
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          Do you drive down the road screaming obscenities at drivers of cars you don't approve of?
          I see the humor was lost on someone.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
            By that time, we will be observing the Wayland replacement first beta releases.
            What is the name of it?

Have have the alpha releases of this unnamed item been successful?

Comment

Originally posted by Fanboy80 View Post
              Hmm, Pulseaudio is still a hard dependency
              As far as I know in LMDE 6 Pulseaudio is not preinstalled...

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                GNOME's mutter still doesn't have support for HDR, so I doubt it'll be in Cinnamon in 2026. We can hope that Gnome will make it to 2026..
                Mutter's HDR support is coming along nicely, it'll most certainly land in 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Does it have anything in common with implementations of Gnome, KDE Plasma, Sway?
                  If it's not ready until 2026, when we can expect also cool stuff like color management and HDR support?
                  I am not sure but if I remember correctly it uses wlroots which is what sway and hyprland uses. (well hyprland I think uses a soft fork of wlroots)

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Mutter's HDR support is coming along nicely, it'll most certainly land in 2024.
                    Gnome 46 will ship without HDR. And Gnome 46 is the basis of RHEL/CentOS Stream 10 and Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. So there will hardly be any mature HDR support before 2026. It took Microsoft 10 years to fix the biggest HDR deficiencies. I think Gnome will also need a few years for HDR to really mature.

Gnome has been working on fractional scaling support for 10 years and there are still many shortcomings.

Comment

Originally posted by Fanboy80 View Post
                      Hmm, Pulseaudio is still a hard dependency
                      I looked up.

Pulseaudio is definitly NOT preinstalled on LMDE 6 even with Cinnamon 5.8.

Only libpulse is preinstalled but the same is also true for the newest GNOME versions (tested with Ubuntu 24.04 Daily + proposed packages)

Comment

Working...
                      X