Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeRDP 3.0 Adding Relative Mouse Movement & Other Improvements

Phoronix: FreeRDP 3.0 Adding Relative Mouse Movement & Other Improvements

FreeRDP 3.0-rc0 was released this morning as the latest stepping stone toward FreeRDP 3.0 for this open-source implementation of the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be nice if it would be usable on wayland too. currently i use anydesk but they go the way of teamviewer and limit the free version more and more so that it didnt work anymore since it want me to pay 15 bugs per month just so connect to my steam deck.
    I did try vnc but that also only worked with X11 and there was no sound, no drag and drop.

I also did try HopToDesk but that wont launch on SteamOS.

Comment

you should mention that they have deprecated their wayland implementation and are coming out with a experimentaral SDL client instead. And that they ask for more developers interested in wayland development.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Would be nice if it would be usable on wayland too. currently i use anydesk but they go the way of teamviewer and limit the free version more and more so that it didnt work anymore since it want me to pay 15 bugs per month just so connect to my steam deck.
        I did try vnc but that also only worked with X11 and there was no sound, no drag and drop.

Did you give nomachine a try? May I suggest you to test it for your use case?

I've been using it, not perfect, but works well for my needs. Of course, you will need to be a bit more involved, specially if you don't have a public IP address assigned, and may need to set dynamic DNS accounts and port redirections, if you want to use it from outside your local network.

Disclosure: I have no involvement with NoMachine, except as a grateful user of their applications.

Cheers.

Comment

Would be nice if it would be usable on wayland too.
          This only depends on your compositor.I daily drive GNOME over RDP. I think to remember that KWin and Weston also do support RDP.

Comment

Why don't you try RustDesk .com (I don't know if links are allowed) ?

Open source, works on everything (I have it on Linux, Android, MacBook, even Windows). Easy to test with public servers, also easy (and recommended) to create your own. A bit complicated to switch to own server, especialy to instruct someone over the phone, but in time you get used to...

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
              Did you give nomachine a try?

Thanks you, i look at it. It its fine for my Use case with the Deck that i have to be in the same network. I just have to look how i get it on my deck and let it start automatic.

Originally posted by lumks View Post
              I think to remember that KWin and Weston also do support RDP.
              That would be better and i check that out, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                This only depends on your compositor.I daily drive GNOME over RDP.
                Same here. RDP has made my desktop usable remotely which I rely on quite heavily.

My only gripe is that you cannot login remotely so I have to physically log in on the deskop after a reboot before I can RDP into the box... Luckily this is coming soon: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/139.

Comment

Originally posted by akarypid View Post

Same here. RDP has made my desktop usable remotely which I rely on quite heavily.

My only gripe is that you cannot login remotely so I have to physically log in on the deskop after a reboot before I can RDP into the box... Luckily this is coming soon: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...e_requests/139.
                  Does that happen on KDE too?

Comment

Would be nice if it would be usable on wayland too.
                    I think they plan to use SDL so it should work on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X