PipeWire 1.0 Released For Managing Audio/Video Streams On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 1.0 Released For Managing Audio/Video Streams On The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: PipeWire 1.0 Released For Managing Audio/Video Steams On The Linux Desktop

It has finally happened: PipeWire 1.0 has been released as this now very common software to the Linux desktop for managing audio and video streams. With time it's proven to be a suitable replacement to the likes of PulseAudio and JACK while pushing forward the Linux desktop with its modern design and feature set...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lots of great things with pipewire, I've been using webrtc echo cancel paired with deepfilternet (better then rnnoise) and now I can have proper voice calls with speakers blasting into the microphone with no issue.

Pipewire is so close to perfect, Just need a tool to record pipewire streams via ffmpeg (kinda plan on making one eventually if no one else does). and I really wish pipewire could expose controls for libcamera (zoom exposure etc. the standard afair)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Pipewire is so close to perfect, Just need a tool to record pipewire streams via ffmpeg (kinda plan on making one eventually if no one else does). and I really wish pipewire could expose controls for libcamera (zoom exposure etc. the standard afair)
      Your wishes have been heard: https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project...submitter=1658

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        Lots of great things with pipewire, I've been using webrtc echo cancel paired with deepfilternet (better then rnnoise) and now I can have proper voice calls with speakers blasting into the microphone with no issue.

Pipewire needs better GUI management tools.

If your audio output needs a higher frequency (e.g. a USB DAC), you have to deep into configuration files for both pipewire and wireplumber, of which the documentation is usually missing or outdated. My USB DAC sounds awful if its running anything below it's targeted frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by FuchtelJockel View Post
          You just made my day sir!​

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Pipewire needs better GUI management tools.

If your audio output needs a higher frequency (e.g. a USB DAC), you have to deep into configuration files for both pipewire and wireplumber, of which the documentation is usually missing or outdated. My USB DAC sounds awful if its running anything below it's targeted frequency.
          is that actually true? IIRC pipewire should try to use the highest sampling rate it can. However I do agree that the config files are obtuse at best. I often need to querey pacman for file locations some times lol.

Documentation for sure needs improved, I often find myself splunking in the code for config stuff.

Comment

Wonderful!
            The only other thing I want from it is to obtain the battery stats from devices like speakers and headphones connected over Bluetooth and report it back.
            Some deskto environments already show battery levels for devices like mice and game controllers connected over Bluetooth and it would be nice if they could show it for speakers and headphones too with the help of PipeWire.
            PulseAudio can get this info from version 16:
            The freedesktop.org project announced the release of the PulseAudio 16.0 sound server with some new features. Here's what is new.

So, I think PipeWire should be able to get it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              So, I think PipeWire should be able to get it too.
              PipeWire has been able to do this since 0.3.24, which was released more than 2.5 years ago. I think it still needs a bluez5 experimental config switch
              to enable it, though (like pulseaudio).

Comment

I think there is a typo in the title.

Comment

cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Wtay View Post

PipeWire has been able to do this since 0.3.24, which was released more than 2.5 years ago. I think it still needs a bluez5 experimental config switch
                    to enable it, though (like pulseaudio).
                    That's good!
                    But not great!
                    As it should've been enabled by default.
                    I still don't know how to enable it manually.

Comment

Working...
                    X