Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 3.0 Is Hoping To Release In May

Phoronix: GIMP 3.0 Is Hoping To Release In May

GIMP 3.0 could be finally released in a few months if all goes very well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting timeframe... GIMP 3.0 may release in May or may not
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm torn between:

- It'll be released when it's ready; and
      - Move fast and break things, release early and release often.

Which sums up the difference between Debian 'Stable' and 'Testing'; or LibreOffice 'Stable' and 'Fresh'

Of course, some people like to live at the ragged-edge of the most-recent-commit of all software.

On balance, I like to have stable versions available. Life's random enough without deliberately adding to the entropy. If I want a new stable versions faster, then I have a responsibility to contribute to their development. If I can't contribute directly, then throwing money at people is rarely refused.

Comment

Is GTK 4 support planned?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Is GTK 4 support planned?
          I suspect they're going to skip that and go straight into GTK 5 or even GTK 6. Also, after Wayland deprecation, X12 might be their next reachable target.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Interesting timeframe... GIMP 3.0 may release in May or may not
            This is one project that needs more developers.

Comment

OMG!
              GTK3!
              this is like a Qt4 app announcing moving to Qt5.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                OMG!
                GTK3!
                It's worse, GTK2 was QT3/KDE3 era. QT3 -> QT4 would be more apt.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                  OMG!
                  GTK3!
                  I get your point, but I'd say at this point just get it out! Let me preface this by stating that I am not an expert in this area, but from things I have read, it sounds like to me that the transition from GTK3 to GTK4 (or above) should be easier that the GTK2 to GTK3 transition - sounds like it was a stated goal for this to be the case. There may have also been a lot of internal code refactoring and cleanup (in particular, and I cannot remember the four letter acronym or name (never mind, GEGL is what I am thinking of) seemed to be a big one.)

Anyway, my personal take is get GIMP 3.0 where they wanted, hopefully a lot of the "heavy lifting" has happened, and then move foward.

Comment

That's great news! Now we only need to wait to learn for which year ;+)

Comment

Working...
                    X