Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Thanks, Satya...
    Don't troll. MS Office is indeed better. More people use it. It's better tested in real life scenarios.

Granted Windows is better now than a decade ago, MS Office remains the best engineered MS product.

Libreoffice developers do a very great job especially considering this is a product that was abandoned twice before (startoffice, openoffice) and all thanks goes to them. However, the userbase and feedback rotating over MS Office easily make it a more mature product.
    Last edited by ClosedSource; 24 November 2023, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
      MS Office is indeed better. More people use it. It's better tested in real life scenarios.
      Uh, that's a strange theory. Because more people drive cheap cars they must be better than expensive cars?
      Granted Windows is better now than a decade ago, MS Office remains the best engineered MS product.
      The only Office product I have to use regularly at work is Outlook and that is a fuckin buggy mess. In theory it has many good features, but if you start using them you are screwed. If that really is MSs best engineered product it doesn't bode well.

Comment

No. That is not a similar analogy. MS Office is actually dirt cheap. 7 dollars a month.
        MS Office just happens to be better because it's more mature because more people used it and reported issues.

You may want to try MS Word and Excel online. See for yourself. You're judging something you don't use?

To be fair, I don't use Windows but the online MS Office is very solid. On the rare occasion when I need to edit embedded MS office documents, I still have LibreOffice 7.5.9
        Last edited by ClosedSource; 24 November 2023, 06:20 AM.

Comment

No. That is not a similar analogy. MS Office is actually dirt cheap. 7 dollars a month.
          MS Office just happens to be better because it's more mature because more people used it and reported issues.
          As it should be with cheap cars then.

You may want to try MS Word and Excel online.
          No thankz, my data are belongs to I. It would be really stupid to give a company like MS access to your data.

You're judging something you don't use?
          I told you that I use Outlook, which belongs to MS office, which you praised to the moon. Now you shifted the goal post to "online" that you didn't mention before.

Comment

You may want to try MS Word and Excel online. See for yourself. You're judging something you don't use?

To be fair, I don't use Windows but the online MS Office is very solid. On the rare occasion when I need to edit embedded MS office documents, I still have LibreOffice 7.5.9
            There is a problem here.

You look at national archives around the world they use Libreoffice or OpenOffice.

Comes clear what the problem is.
            Import of DOS/Windows legacy word processing documents: Microsoft Word for DOS, Microsoft WinWord 5, Microsoft Word 6.0 / 95, Microsoft Write, Hangul WP97, Text 602 (T602), Lotus WordPro
            There are a lot of legacy formats current Libreoffice will open that current MS Office will straight up refuse to open.

So MS Office is not that solid once you start having to deal with document archives.

Now some people MS office is a total paper weight because MS Office does not support their native language but Libreoffice does.

You are doing a complex document that too complex for MS Office to handle and you don't want to latex many cases Libreoffice master document works here. Remember MS office having more users reporting bugs did not mean they could implement a master document setup that was not a broken mess.

Libreoffice is not perfect but Libreoffice has at least 200 millions users and some of that is Libreoffice is best choice for particular use cases.

The history with Libreoffice is way more messy.

Core Libreoffice developers come out of go-oo that forks off from openoffice in 2002. Go-oo was focused on making Libreoffice work well on Linux and BSD systems early on. The idea of abandoned twice before is not exactly true.

Its really simple to forgot the IBM office suite based off LIbreoffice source code or that staroffice was released along side open office for quite some time.

Go-oo developers always presumed at some point their work would end up merged back into OpenOffice mainline. With Oracle taking over Sun it came clear that merge was never going to be possible so causing libreoffice to form particularly with how Orcale could decide to protect the OpenOffice trademark in a big way.

Yes go-oo Long from is go openoffice can you see trademark problem. Its a surprise to a lot of people that since 2002 there have been at least 3 different branches of openoffice/libreoffice/neooffice.. (relative of staroffice) under development.

Also is a supprise that staroffice relative history does not show a dip in amount of development instead slowly increasing development speed with most of it these days focused on Libreoffice.

Comment

Don't troll. MS Office is indeed better. More people use it. It's better tested in real life scenarios.

Libreoffice developers do a very great job especially considering this is a product that was abandoned twice before (startoffice, openoffice) and all thanks goes to them. However, the userbase and feedback rotating over MS Office easily make it a more mature product.
              You be surprised how widespread Libreoffice is in "real life" workplaces. We use it here in my workplace (7000 people), although not by everybody. And I can count in my fingers the people I saw that have a real need for MS Office, for one reason or another. The rest just drag their feet because change is scary for older people.

I not denying MS Office is a more mature software, but it is not perfect either. Also, I had my fair share of stress, trying to resolve bugs in other people computers, to not be impressed by arguments told by people who like it.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

You be surprised how widespread Libreoffice is in "real life" workplaces. We use it here in my workplace (7000 people), although not by everybody. And I can count in my fingers the people I saw that have a real need for MS Office, for one reason or another. The rest just drag their feet because change is scary for older people.

I not denying MS Office is a more mature software, but it is not perfect either. Also, I had my fair share of stress, trying to resolve bugs in other people computers, to not be impressed by arguments told by people who like it.
                Interesting. Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware of these numbers.

My gripe with Libreoffice has been stability. It's not consistent. 7.4 and 7.6 have been very crashy. 7.5 seems fine.

Comment

My gripe with Libreoffice has been stability. It's not consistent. 7.4 and 7.6 have been very crashy. 7.5 seems fine.
                  Download free office suite for Windows, macOS and Linux. Microsoft compatible, based on OpenOffice, and updated regularly.

Does make sense when you read the download page. 7.5 is the more tested version at the moment. The certified support versions for business customers is the 7.5 version at the moment.

Comment

I still see OpenOffice 3 personally...

Why not put the tools on a left side vertical toolbar ala photoshop by example, to gain vertical space, and use the empty horizontal space?
                    Why not using nice semi transparent/blur UI features to embellish the whole UI and make it modern.
                    Why some icons are HiRes, some are low res with bilinear re-sampling, some are resized in nearest mode... all of this in the same screenshot.
                    etc.
                    Why some many stuff still called openOffice.org more than 10 years after the fork ?

I also really struggle to understand how this can weight 800MB once installed.
                    Last edited by rmfx; 24 November 2023, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I used to do a lot of business data analysis, especially at the end of the year, and used to receive a spreadsheet with over 700 thousand rows with each row consisting of 53 columns. This was over 37 million cells of data representing over 50 million dollars worth of transactions.

This is where you see the superiority of MS Excel over LO Calc, when you have lots of data to work with.

MS Word is also LO Writer, the quality of the documents you can make with Word can't be matched by Writer.

PowerPoint is on a class by itself, though Impress is not bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X