Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape Celebrates 20 Years With New Release

Phoronix: Inkscape Celebrates 20 Years With New Release

The Inkscape open-source graphics editor application that is popular among Linux users and has evolved into a viable alternative to the likes of Adobe Illustrator is celebrating its 20th anniversary...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait inkscape is 20yrs old??!! I had no idea! It has gotten much better lately than even a few years ago. Use it quite often for svg icon work now.

Kudos to the team, I hope they keep up the awesome work!

Comment

I was using 0.3[something] Inkscape version in a small game studio a long time ago. We also had Corel Draw 9, but I used it only to export my final work fo cdr format. Good stuff.

While no longer working with a graphics, even minimal skill with Inkscape saves a ton of time looking for a free webapp, which could modify eps file a little.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Wait inkscape is 20yrs old??!! I had no idea! It has gotten much better lately than even a few years ago. Use it quite often for svg icon work now.

Kudos to the team, I hope they keep up the awesome work!
        Before there was Sodipodi from which Inkscape arose iirc.. Yeah, time flies. :/

Nice to see a maintenance release, however, it is not yet "stable" in Gentoo as Inkscape 1.3. seems to require a new boost and boost is a big chunk of a library and a good couple of other projects depend on it. Well, hopefully this will settle, soon, so it can be enjoyed there without too many hassles.
        (Gentoo simply makes you aware of what was the dependency hell for many in the past, it is not nicely covered as in precompiled distributions. :-p Reminds me of poppler-caused-rebuilds, or the recent/ongoing ffmpeg 6 drama, at least if you have vlc installed. So, people, be glad with your binary-distributors, they did all the nasty work for you. ;-) )
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Not an artist, but do use it now and then when I need a 'simple' icon/symbol for a project. I just downloaded this 1.3.1's appImage which of course works just fine.

Comment

* buggy stable release
            * if this is very important, must wait for 1.3.3
            * 30 freezes/crashes [ 5 crashes 1.2.1 ( 1 ) ]
            * expect more point releases

( 1 ) https://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/Release_notes/1.2.1

Comment

Did they already fix macOS performance? It was barely usable in 1.1, don't know how it is now.

I really like Inkscape and I always install it on my machines, but now I have no Linux machine and use a MacBook from my company to work, so it's a little frustrating that Inkscape struggles so much on macOS.

Comment

Working...
              X