Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg's ffplay Media Player Adds Vulkan Renderer

Phoronix: FFmpeg's ffplay Media Player Adds Vulkan Renderer

The FFmpeg multimedia library has been making progress with its Vulkan Video API support while this week an interesting change was merged for ffplay, FFmpeg's built-in simple multimedia player. The ffplay player now has a built-in Vulkan renderer provided by libplacebo as an optional means of hardware acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ffmpeg didn't had hardware acceleration before?

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post
      ffmpeg didn't had hardware acceleration before?
      This is only about ffplay, which is a barebones media player that comes with ffmpeg. Ffmpeg itself has always supported various hardware en-/decoders.

Comment

Libplacebo is amazing, VLC users will sure be happy when VLC 4.0 Nev-Finally lands. nice to see ffplay support it, since a lot of people build ffmpeg with it anyways, it's a neat novelty and at least should help ffplay be a weebit more usable.

Comment

I use ffplay as a simple media player, although I do wish they had similar functionality to mpv with on-screen controls and keyboard controls to enable/disable subtitles and change audio language.

Comment

To bad FFmpeg needs bleeding edge vulkan-sdk so it's not that easy to build on some distributions.

Comment

One thing I often miss is Wayland/PipeWire integration for screen recording (analogous to x11grab).

There's wf-recorder but it would be nice if ffmpeg could do it natively.

Comment

Working...
              X