Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 6.1 Released With Vulkan Video Decoding, VA-API AV1 Encode

Phoronix: FFmpeg 6.1 Released With Vulkan Video Decoding, VA-API AV1 Encode

While it was supposed to ship back in H1'2023, FFmpeg 6.1 finally released last night as the newest feature update to this widely-used multimedia library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally I can switch back from -git, I've been looking forward to this!

Comment

VVC support has slowly been creeping in but it's still far from done.

The current code to play VVC natively in ffmpeg (without using any third party libraries, e.g. vvdec) is here: https://github.com/ffvvc/FFmpeg

Comment

Nice, I have been waiting for this. Vulkan video decoding is good on nvidia since nvenc/nvdec uses cuda which increases power usage (and reduces system performance) because the nvidia driver forces the gpu power level to p2. Now im just waiting for vulkan video encoding support which will allow you to record gameplay without reducing fps in games as much.

Comment

Originally posted by dec05eba View Post
          Nice, I have been waiting for this. Vulkan video decoding is good on nvidia since nvenc/nvdec uses cuda which increases power usage (and reduces system performance) because the nvidia driver forces the gpu power level to p2. Now im just waiting for vulkan video encoding support which will allow you to record gameplay without reducing fps in games as much.
          NVIDIA drivers already support Vulkan video decoding? Whoa, that was fast, I've not even noticed it.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

NVIDIA drivers already support Vulkan video decoding? Whoa, that was fast, I've not even noticed it.
            Yes, I have tested it before. I dont remember if it works with the regular nvidia driver or if you need the nvidia vulkan beta driver (https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver)

Comment

Any news on adding AV2 support? From what I hear, that is starting to have some serious advantages (not that it'll be released for a few years yet)...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                Any news on adding AV2 support? From what I hear, that is starting to have some serious advantages (not that it'll be released for a few years yet)...
                It's not been even finalized yet.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

It's not been even finalized yet.
                  Sure, but aomedia release development builds regularly for testing. It would make sense to support them...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Sure, but aomedia release development builds regularly for testing. It would make sense to support them...
                    If the codec is not finalized, it means its bitstream could be anything on a given day of the week. What should FFmpeg developers do? Support every unreleased commit of AV2? A gazillion versions of AV2 bitstream format? How would you even decode it without knowing which GIT snapshot created it? What's the point of chasing an ever changing target? And will you pay for that? ffmpeg has been largely commercial open source for many years now. Its developers add what they are getting paid to add.

Comment

Working...
                    X